Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Social Marketing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    kevsyers
    Participant

Does anyone know of any websites that show real results for social media marketing using sites such as Twitter and Facebook?

It seems like everything I come across is either trying to sell me some garbage or it just tells me I should be using FB/Twitter (Which I know).

I would like to find some good solid numbers/figures to show clients and maybe some before and after results.

joelmb

This article may be useful to you Think beyond Twitter & Facebook on Technorati

kevsyers
    Participant

Thanks for the link. I’m finding myself slowly becoming a web developer and social media manager. So I have to start gathering more solid information on how to use Twitter and Facebook effectively.

I wonder if this is a common trend among all Web developers?

joelmb

Interesting discussion. I think however whilst it may be true that you, or I, or indeed probably the majority of the readers of this web-dev specific tech-savvy site would resist being marketed/sold to through Social Media etc, there certainly are punters out there who will. Millions of them. I personally would never read, let alone buy from a junk mail leaflet through my postbox, or an unsolicited sales email or phone call, but millions of people do, it’s all about percentages, that even just 1% will buy, and that makes it worth it. I’m not advocating these last three as worthy marketing avenues for the likes of ourselves (though they may be!), but all business sectors, sme’s to largest corporates, are increasing their usage of social media marketing for extra market reach, so if your competitors are doing it and you aren’t your naturally going to have less reach than them; how successful in roi they are, as this following article points out, is still hard to gauge.

Personally though I’d rather be involved in as many marketing avenues (appropriate to our ‘product’) available to us as possible than exclude some in case they’re just a latest, passing fad (which incidentally, in my humble opinion I’m *pretty* sure they’re not). If you’re putting your company’s services under the noses of, say, 5,000 potential customers using traditional marketing methods, but possibly, say, a million using every possible marketing method including social media, and you get a positive response from just 1%, well, to me it’s a no-brainer.

All just my opinion, and being in a similar situation as you both, have found social media marketing more and more impossible to ignore (though as you can tell I’ve never wanted to, nor believe we should ignore). A couple more articles I’d bookmarked over the past months which might be further reading of interest…

“Social Objects are the future of marketing.” http://gapingvoid.com/so/
    “10 Social Media Mistakes We Bet You’re Making” http://read.bi/jJOzJD

joelmb

I do agree it’s somewhat of a different challenge for small business in it’s approach and use of social media to the ‘coca-cola corporates’ who have whole teams of people in each country solely dedicated to socially marketing their brand, but nonetheless I don’t think there’s anything to stop sme’s spreading their marketing wings into social media even if it is to a far lesser investment degree. My view is that it’s small steps needed; there’s little to prevent the start-up from at least having an initial start-low-investment presence on Facebook, Twitter, and more critically, Linked-in, where the benefit lies less so in attempting global brand awareness but more in networking and relationship building close to home, as you rightly say, in the local communities they reside.

kevsyers
    Participant

Most of the people that I design sites for are small businesses. It’s my suspicion that most of them only want to have any kind of social marketing because: A) Like it was mentioned earlier with blogs, it’s the ‘new’ thing. B) They are too slack/cheap to pay for any other type of marketing (whether print, radio or TV). I’ll also go on a limb and say that none of them will update their Twitter or Facebook accounts, much like they wouldn’t update their blogs if they had one.

However, this doesn’t change the fact that I/we need to have as much ammo as we can carry in regards to how to track leads, ROI, traffic from those sites and the like.

Throwing out numbers is one thing but being able to explain the how and why is what I can use to either help push along or drive a client away from Facebook/Twitter.

mak123

i would not prefer social marketing but i think[ Hyip Script](http://www.xsharepro.com “hyip script”) is new trend for your advertisements.

Andy Howells
    Participant

I always advise clients to engage in social media for its intended purpose – to engage and converse with existing and potential clients, not to turn it into a spam wall of their products, but rather making and joining conversations related to their company.

SEO and social media are two different structures, sure there’s overlap but the intended uses are vastly different and it’s our job to explain that to clients.

Andy Howells
    Participant

This actually just inspired me to write a blog post, basically a written down version of what I talk to my clients about, feel free to borrow any ideas! (Or tell me if I’m wrong of course) – http://unleash-it.co.uk/news/social-media-strategy

danieldatton

Depending on what your looking to see, just from reading the OP, Google analytics outputs traffic stats from social networks, and HootSuite gives a guidelines as to how your social networks performs in terms of reach and general oomph.

Danny D.

danieldatton

@Joshwhite Ive found there really is no benefit to having 50000 likes over having 1 like, its simply a marketing dick measuring contest..

But it does mean that there is 49,999 more people seeing your pages posts.

Andy Howells
    Participant

@danieldatton – Absolutely agree with the likes amounts etc. While they can be a good indicator of opinion – are they really converting customers? Would you rather have 100,000 twitter followers who don’t buy anything, or would you rather have 10 that are loyal customers.

Quantity is irrelevant, quality in social media is super important.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.