Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS So it’s a 3D CSS sphere ya want?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    DrCLue

I’ve been seeing a lot of noise of late on how to fake a sphere in CSS, but one has to wonder why folks would fake one when they can make a real one in about 40 lines CSS/HTML combined?

I’ve only got enough time at the moment to give you the basic recipe but it’s pretty simple.

Using the old CSS triangle trick and ::before and ::after pseudos whip yourself up a hexagon and a pentagon whose sides are of matching lengths.

Now look around for a soccer ball, or perhaps a sewing pattern for making the stuffed fabric ones

To keep the code small you’ll want to make nested strips of your polygons so that but 1 or two selectors operating recursively will curl your strips into the ball.

That’s basically it.

Once you have the soccer ball figured out you can make letters orbit it like the old universal studios logo, or decorate it with textures for the holidays.

Nice thing though is that since it is a real sphere , all them lighting effects in 3d land will interact with it as a real object.

Anyways , 40 lines of HTML/CSS weighs less than many of the fakes anyways, and in understanding it , you can make rolling hills , undulating oceans ,stage curtains and all sorts of cool things that have a big wow and a tiny footprint.

Paulie_D

>I’ve only got enough time at the moment to give you the basic recipe but it’s pretty simple.

Way to leave us hanging….sigh

Kitty Giraudel
    Participant

*Demo or it didn’t happen.*

Paulie_D

>_Demo or it didn’t happen._

This.

Senff
    Participant

-clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap-

Paulie_D

>So it’s a 3D CSS sphere ya want?

Well it would be nice…shame you talked about (but didn’t demo) a **faux** solution. :)

DrCLue

I’ll try and squeeze in some time this weekend to post a stripped down version of just the sphere.
    I had figured most , just given the basic recipe could run with it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.