Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Sloooow WP-site

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    papdronning
    Participant

The site marensblog.dk is tremendously slow and we keep using up all the memory on the server (32GB) – and I can’t figure out why. There’s a lot of visitors, but still …

I’ve tested it using GT metrix and fixeda couple of problems, but nothing did much difference.

Any ideas?

shaneisme
    Participant

When troubleshooting a WP site, it helps to disable all plugins and see if the problem goes away. If so, reactivate one at a time to see where the problem lies.

I’d say 90% of the time you can find it in there. The other 10% gets a little more complicated.

shaneisme
    Participant

As a side note, I don’t feel it’s that slow… at least right now.

__
    Participant

Doesn’t feel slow to me, either. But if it really is taking up that much RAM, then something is leaking memory. PHP shouldn’t be able to allocate the much memory in the first place, unless you’ve changed the default config settings.

Do you know that it’s the PHP process doing it? I would be suspicious of other processes on the machine. (I’m assuming it’s a private/ virtual private server, since you have that much memory to use at all.)

papdronning
    Participant

Whenever she posts and mayby 1000 users try to access the site simultaniously the site uses all the server’s memory. I’ve tested the site with the P3 plugin and that says that Jigoshop is the most demanding process. But it’s not really a possibility to erase that.

__
    Participant

“Jigoshop” meaning this? And is it actually using all that memory?

To clarify, however, WP plugins are not “processes.” They are PHP scripts, that run inside the PHP (or Apache) process. By default, PHP is configured to use no more than 128MB. Unless you changed PHP’s memory limit, it is highly unlikely that WP is responsible for using all that memory: it would cbe killed long before that.

As I said above, I would suspect other processes. Databases or in-memory caches (like memcached) are possibilities, but really, it could be any program you have running on the server.

If it is just WP under peak loads, I would say you need to look into caching responses, or possibly using a CDN. Did you try disabling plugins and restarting them one-by-one, as @shaneisme suggested?

papdronning
    Participant

Havn’t changed the limit.

It appears to be during peak loads.

It was also an issue before it was moved to the virtual server.

You write databases or inmemory caches. What would the solution be to this? The blog has like 30.000 comments and has been around a while, so the database is quite large. I’ve used some of the database clean-up tools, but don’t know how else to go about this.

Do you think it’ll help rebuilding the site on another, more lightweight, theme?

papdronning
    Participant

And it would call that bit even though you’re on the blog-pages and not the shop-pages?

How can I change this? Do I just delete the code or should it be altered into something else? (sorry …)

papdronning
    Participant

Mayby this makes sense to some of you guys.

Now everything is loading super quickly. But when I test the site I get this: http://gtmetrix.com/reports/marensblog.dk/yuNWq8hx

There’s a 301 redirect that takes 6 seconds to load. What is that? I don’t have a 301 redirect set up anywhere.

mcjohnst
    Participant

Check your HTAccess and plugins for the redirect. Or any weird PHP header settings in the project files.

papdronning
    Participant

Got that fixed. Turned out it was W3 cache that had left some crap in the htaccess

Still uses up the memory on the server when she posts and visitor count peaks, though.

I have CDN, security, optimized images, imimized css. It loads extremely quickly and tests fine om gtmetrix. But uses up the memory and becomes slow when a lot of people sto by.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.