Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Size-adjustable layout for photography page

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    jtwalter
    Participant

I’m redesigning my site and having a hard time with getting the basic layout to do exactly what I want. This page I have set up is a bare bones version of it http://www.julianwalter.com/newsite2/test.php just so you can see my idea. Column on the left with all different galleries, div on the right to hold an image, div with a long row of thumbs on the bottom for thumbnails.

Everything is pretty much in place right now, but what I want is for it to be able to resize according to a viewer’s browser window size. I want the maximum image size without pushing the thumbnails down below the bottom of the page (causing scrolling), or also without the image spilling over the edge of the browser window. I believe with some “width/height: auto” type settings and maybe some absolute or relative positioning this should be possible, but I just can’t get it right.

Can you help me out? Thank you very much for any tips!

Julian

ps I can think of ways in javascript to calculate this out based on browser window size but I would feel much more warm and fuzzy if it could be done in css

jtwalter
    Participant

I figured out one part of it! setting the image to “max-width: 100%” then it will not be any larger than the div that contains it, thus resizing when the window becomes smaller.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.