Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript [Solved] Simpler way to write this snippet?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Rugg
    Participant

The following snippet forces events to fully execute without interruption before firing again. It works well with keydown or mouse wheel events, providing a smoother output with out the bubbling of queued events. Works perfect as it stands, but I’m curious if there’s a cleaner approach to writing it… Suggestions are welcome…thanks!

var a = 200;
        var b = 0;
        var c = 0;
        var d = Date.now();

if (d - c < b + a) {
            return;
        }

c = d;

Note: I’m aware of jQuery’s .stop() and .clearQueue(), but the above snippet is slightly different

__
    Participant

The following snippet forces events to fully execute without interruption before firing again.

I am not sure what you’re trying to do, here. jQuery’s .stop() and .clearQueue() do completely different things (and neither seem to be what you are describing).

var a = 200;
    var b = 0;
    var c = 0;
    var d = Date.now(); // say, 1379985942942
    if (d - c < b + a) {
        return;
    }
    c = d;

let’s look at this…

if( 1379985942942 - 0 < 200 +0 )
    if( 1379985942942     < 200    )
    if( false                      )

…right?

Is this supposed to be in a loop (might be implied by c = d)?

if( false ){ return; }

Won’t happen, so you assign c the value of d and start over. Then you assign c the value of 0 and run the comparison again – you have an infinite loop.

…I’m curious if there’s a cleaner approach to writing it

well, the only thing that jump out at me is that b is always 0, and so, never affects the value b + a in the comparison – you could leave it out.

But I think we need a bit more explanation about what you’re actually trying to do.

__
    Participant

I have proper names in my app code… just used the letters for a primitive test case.

Honestly, it makes more sense to have “proper names” in the test case – that’s where it’s going to be looked at. In your production code, things can (should) be minimized.

Also, it makes a lot more sense now that I know a, b, and c are in a different scope than d.

You’ll notice the code snippet is used in both the right and left test functions. Is there a way to possibly just use it once without have to be redundant?

You could make it into a method (of your test object, or it could be a bare function if you want to use it globally).

__
    Participant

I’m somewhat confused about the updated syntax…specifically this.then = this.then || 0;

We’re checking to see if then is already defined before defining it: so, on the first use then will be undefined, so that statement will assign the initial value 0. Once we do then = now, then will have a value, and so that statement will leave it with its own value. It’s similar to doing:

if( ! this.then ){
        this.then = 0;
    }

__
    Participant

then in my example is not a function/method; simply a variable. It fills the same role as the variable c in your original example.

__
    Participant

Yeah, I probably should’ve used a different name. I was just thinking of “then” vs. “now”.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.