Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Simple (free) solution to downloadable products

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    MrBrightside
    Participant

Hey CSS-tricks people, Thanks for looking at my post, I was hoping you could help me find a very simple shopping cart system that I could use for my clients website.

what he needs is a very simple system for selling digital products, that will send them a link to the download after they’ve payed via PayPal. He’s probably going to be selling less than 20 products so I really don’t need a full blown CMS with tons of features that clog up the back-end and make it a headache for him. Foxy-cart comes to mind and it’s pretty nice but it’s too much money for so few products, but I like it’s simplicity.

Also as a designer I want full control of what it looks like.

also I might note that our hosting doesn’t support php5.

is this asking too much?

AshtonSanders
    Participant

I haven’t used this WordPress PLugin, but I did see that it did sell (only?) Digital products:
    http://www.tipsandtricks-hq.com/wordpre … urely-1059

Check it out and let me know how it works for you.

MrBrightside
    Participant

Thank you for your reply! That seems a pretty good, I am sort of leaning away from wordpress because my client really isn’t needing the blog part of it, so there’s a lot of unneeded functionality that gets in the way of what he’s trying to do.

AshtonSanders
    Participant

Okay.

Well, I don’t know any carts that are just for digital items, although I would expect both zencart and osCommerce have the functionality for it.

From what I’ve seen. osCommerce has been around forever, but is not doing any more updates. Zen cart is newer (and buggier?) but is getting lots of attention from their community.

MrBrightside
    Participant

Hm…. I’m trying them out, OScommerce’s downloadable section is pretty sketchy. I’m trying zen-cart now. But it seems with all the cart CMS’s I have to hide or throw away a lot of stuff I don’t need, like stock, tax, shipping address, etc…

AshtonSanders
    Participant

Yea, It’s very true.

Honestly, you’d probably throw away less with just installing WordPress in a sub-folder with just one plugin… lol. Might even be a smaller file size. :D

(When did I turn into such a WP flag-waver? I really try to not wave a flag for any one program… I swear)

MrBrightside
    Participant

Yeah you’ve got a point there! I’ve been using wp-commerce at first which is pretty good I just have very little control over the way the products are displayed. I might take more of a look in the plugin’s files but so far I haven’t been able to make much sense of them. Other ones seem to require that you use [tags] and/or don’t support downloadable products.

AshtonSanders
    Participant

Yea, I did notice last week, that the new version of wp-ecommerce does have a themes folder now! Yeay! You can customize the products and categories pretty easily now!

MrBrightside
    Participant

That’s good! I’ll have to check it out.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.