Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Sidebar IE6 Problem

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Swizzler

I’m having an issue with a sidebar on a webpage i’m developing, in IE6 instead of floating to the left where its supposed to, it drifts out to the middle of the page and gets a bit longer for some reason. also the right side’s text is pushed out considerably. i’ve looked it over firebug lite quite a bit. and messed around with the css to no avail. does anyone know what to do?

the page in question: http://samswitzer.org/beta/index.html

jamygolden

Your HTML doesn’t validate. Try validating and see if that solves the problem.

Swizzler

Now its valid, doesn’t appear to have affected the problem at all in ie6, but thanks for mentioning it! Any other ideas?

EDIT: Ah ha! I’ve narrowed the problem down to #content’s width being set to 100%, if I lower it to say, 80% it seems to almost line up correctly, is this going to have to be the solution or, knowing this information can anyone think of a better fix?

EDIT #2: I figured out the spacing issue and mostly why the nav bar was floating out in the middle of the page, but one thing I haven’t figured out how to avoid is that when the page is reduced in size, the content text goes under the nav bar (this only happens in IE6)

Swizzler

“IE6 double margins and padding, so if you write an IE6 specific stylesheet with half the margins and padding you might be able to keep 100% width. Try it.”

Is that only with a specific unit? I halved all my margins and padding and they stayed halved in ie6

Swizzler

“Maybe this article will help as you are using a liquid layout. http://matthewjamestaylor.com/blog/perfect-2-column-left-menu.htm”

i’m messing around with this layout now, it appears to be on the right track, thanks for pointing it out!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.