Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript show/hide

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    Beverleyh
    Participant

I was playing around with @Shikkediel’s vanilla JS draggable script and decided to merge it with what I had so far with the dock-to-sidebar widget demo.

I also added local storage save functionality (where each display state and position is saved when widgets are moved or docked).

You’re welcome to further modify it for your needs: http://fofwebdesign.co.uk/template/_testing/widgets-show-hide-dock-drag-local-storage.htm

Shikkediel
    Participant

Nice. :-)

Sorry @Allie_P, I hadn’t noticed you posted another question. Both random placement scripts should work fine and they’re more or less the same, I recall the one I proposed is just a bit more basic. The choice of draggable code generally depends on if you’re using jQuery already or not. Functionality isn’t much different.

Allie_P
    Participant

@Beverleyh Is it just me or is draggability not working very well?

Beverleyh
    Participant

Seems fine here. What device/browser have you noticed a problem on and in what circumstances?

Shikkediel
    Participant

Might be the (lack of) z-index thingy… I was thinking about adapting my Codepen scripts for multiple elements but I suspect Beverly could fix in it a jiffy.

Allie_P
    Participant

OS X / Safari

They get stuck all the time when I try to drag them across the screen.
    Have a look: https://streamable.com/8tf6

Beverleyh
    Participant

Sorry, I don’t have that environment to test in :(
    Only iOS /Safari

What z-index change do you suggest Shikkediel? Do you have access to OS X at your side too?

Shikkediel
    Participant

Nope, no option to check on any Applish device. Windows 7 here…

What z-index change do you suggest

Just lifting the currently dragged item above all other content, any higher placed element can prevent fluid dragging at the moment when they are overlapping.

Or maybe even keeping track of all z-indexes and leaving the items in the last recorded order but that’s a bit more complicated of course.

Beverleyh
    Participant

I’ll look at z-index again tomorrow on Windows 7/8/10 + Android, but on iOS (on iPhone at the mo) the z-index doesn’t seem to pose a problem. The dragged boxes maintain fluid dragging even when they pass underneath other elements.

Shikkediel
    Participant

Hmm… looking back at the code, it might be up for a small revision. I suppose I used the following so it was easier to pass on this but it probably makes more sense to use window instead here :

this.addEventListener('mousemove', dragIt, false);

Meaning some other lines would have to be changed as well… but the overlapping issue should disappear.

Beverleyh
    Participant

OK – I’m back in the office now and can see that a really fast drag will cause the mouse to lose contact with the widgets, but a moderate-to-fast drag seems fine. I think its a reasonable expectation for users to move the widgets in a ‘purposeful’ way if they want to actual place them elsewhere, otherwise just close them altogether. Just my thoughts though.

Anyway, I added the z-index change to lift dragged widgets to the foreground, and then return them to ‘auto’ z-index when dropped. This is done with the addition and removal of a ‘.move’ class so that other CSS decorations can be applied during the drag action (such as a box-shadow).

Shikkediel
    Participant

Hardly bothersome indeed and an easier fix. Works well.

Beverleyh
    Participant

I’m pretty happy with it too. Yey for teamwork! :D

Allie_P
    Participant

I think its a reasonable expectation for users to move the widgets in a ‘purposeful’ way if they want to actual place them elsewhere, otherwise just close them altogether.

Sorry, but I’m gonna have to disagree. I think on a big screen is pretty easy/common to drag something from one side to the other with a short but fast movement. :(

Here’s what I was able to accomplish so far:

http://codepen.io/Allie_P/pen/QNYqRp

I used this for draggability as both of @Shikkediel pens were presenting some issues. It works fine.

For the positioning I used this pen but for some reason it keeps aligning the objects. I have var ensued = false; so I’m not sure why that’s happening. Any ideas?

Shikkediel
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 89 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.