Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Should I tell client that I will be using a paid theme for their website?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    rosco
    Participant

Hi all,

I’ve been asked to create a website for a small company, and I’m considering using a theme from Theme Forest which I will customise and add plugins to, etc… until it meets the needs of the client.

However, I’m conscious that if I show the clients the WordPress themes on Theme Forest they may:

See the cost of the theme, and think I’m over-charging them, or once they see the Themes available, think that they can do it themselves.

Has anyone else had any similar concerns like this? If so, what would your advice be?

Ross

AnnaDesigns
    Participant

Everything with a client should be up front. What would you tell them if you gave them the site, and then they realized that you used a template?

A big consideration would be *why* you are using a theme forest theme for a client.

If you can’t make a compelling argument for charging the amount that you’re charging for a pre-made theme, then you probably shouldn’t do it.

I’ve used a pre-made theme once, but that was after the client saw my quote for a custom site, and decided they couldn’t afford it, so I pitched the pre-made thing to them and charged them accordingly.

TheDoc

Yes, yes yes yes yes yes yes.

Not telling the client that they **aren’t** getting a custom design and then buying a template would *almost* be grounds for going to court, imo.

chrisburton
    Participant

Utterly agree with @TheDoc. My advice would be that if you can’t build the templates on your own, you probably shouldn’t be accepting clients. It’s not fair to them nor will you succeed by doing so.

rosco
    Participant

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses. The quote I’ve given the client is based on using a theme, so I’m certainly not trying to overcharge them nor be dishonest. My concern is more that when the Client chooses the Theme, they can see the prices, instructions, etc… and might think that I could be either charging too much for my time, or that they could do it themselves.

In saying that I’ve probably answered my own question: If the client thinks that they can do it themselves, then I should probably just let them.

Thanks,

Ross

mak123

well may be you should do it with yourself..don’t offer client custom designs..

demersdesigns
    Participant

Maybe the right approach here is, instead of just letting the client pick a theme, you should select a theme that you think has the functionality that matches what the clients needs are. Then, as you said, you can customize the look and feel and add any extra functionality.

I would absolutely tell the client that your intention is to use a pre-made theme as a starting point for their site. What they are paying for in that case is your expertise in customizing the theme to fit their needs. Then, in that case, it doesn’t matter that the client can see the prices of the themes, instructions, etc. Just my two cents.

rosco
    Participant

Demers Designs – Thanks for your suggestions, I think that this is the best way forward. Ross

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.