Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Should I move from Freewebs to WordPress

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    gypsywhim

Hi there,

This is my first day on the forum, which I joined to specifically ask for some help.

Currently, I have a website through the FreeWebs template service. I developed it a little over a year ago and I have my own domain name.

I keep reading everywhere that WordPress is the way to go, yet, it seems to me FW has all the same features as WP. The only difference that’s really touted is that in WP, the site belongs to you and you have “more control over your material”; whatever that means. I don’t know — for me, is this even an advantage since I’m just the average blogger and not a more advanced techie person? Seems like WP would benefit the web designers more, but for the average writer like me, wouldn’t make a difference.

I am also curious about WP ranking higher in search engines over FW. Is this true? I will admit, I don’t get a lot of traffic, but then again, I figured that was due to two things primarily: my marketing efforts and my niche name. I do try to follow good SEO practices, and seem to succeed in most other “content-based’ areas.

Sorry this post is so long. I’m just debating whether or not to transition my website to the WP platform. Any insight or links to other related places that talk about this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

chrisburton
    Participant

@gypsywhim As a former freewebs (now webs) user from years ago, there service is pretty much a joke. I feel like they target those who have no idea what they’re doing so they offer all these “bonuses” that you can get with just a normal host and CMS.

Freewebs has horrible SEO. From what I remember, all they offer was to submit your site to Google, Yahoo and Bing. That doesn’t really do anything but list your site. So yes, WordPress has better markup structure for SEO.

I’m not sure your capabilities with coding, therefore you might want to try http://wordpress.com

gypsywhim

Thanks Chris for responding. I will be transferring to WP. It seems like WP provides better networking opportunities and I believe you might be right when it comes to which service has the better SEO strategem. Thanks!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.