Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Should I always leave the wordpress upload file permission at 755 or only when I need to use it?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    akurtula
    Participant

Hi

I am creating a site for a client using WordPress. I am wondering, since wordpress upload file needs to be change to 755 in order to allow use write permission, would the client need to change this back to 555 when he does not need to use it, or is it save to leave the permission at 755 always

I know that 755 gives only the (admin) user writing (?) power, but I just need to make sure.

This is my first client, so I want to know whether he needs to using the ftp at all

Hope you can give me some advice

Thanks

ryantay
    Participant

Ideally your client shouldn’t have to use FTP at all. Depending on the host you’re using you may not need to bother with changing file permissions at all – it largely depends on the PHP handler being used.

There’s some good documentation about PHP request handlers here: http://www.inmotionhosting.com/support/website/general-server-setup/choosing-the-best-php-handler

If you’re stuck on a DSO host, your scripts are executed by “nobody” users which means you have to open up execution rights for all users, which could lead to security issues. My suggestion – make sure the site is hosted on a server using suPHP or fastCGI so you don’t have to deal with changing any file permissions.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.