Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Design should a web design site be 100% responsive

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    GroovyMotion
    Participant

I was wondering if a web design website should be 100% responsive for all devices? It has to showcase large images and UI/layout samples but I want to get the opinion of other designers/developers.

Thanks in advance!

Paulie_D

Nope….it would depend on the site and target audience.

If you current and expected metrics don’t show a requirement for mobile then I wouldn’t expect to be worrying about mobile users to greatly.

Certainly I wouldn’t ignore them but i wouldn’t prioritise their UX to the detriment of my target audience.

If you are showcasing large images then what is a smartphone user going to get out of them, not much I would suggest. Tablet users yes, and desktop absolutely.

GroovyMotion
    Participant

Thanks Paulie, I am messing with media-queries right now and it is a mess lol. Thank god for that iphone simulator here: http://transmog.net/iphone-simulator/iphone-emulator.php

I guess I will have to think about it, some clients looking for a simple website might not look for designers on a mobile phone but rather on IE 6 or 7!

Robert
    Participant

Most of traffic for websites has been shifted toward mobile devices, so for making your website mobile friendly you should built 100% responsive for all devices.

GroovyMotion
    Participant

I agree, I read a lot about it and I am coding away towards a full responsive site right now! :)

GroovyMotion
    Participant

Great points shaneisme!
    I remember doing sites 20 years ago with just simple tables lol…now I come back to design after 10 years of being away and I am really blown away by the changes/progress!

I subscribed to some of the mentors in the industry and I have learned a whole lot ! I really think that we have a great community where people share their ideas and thoughts.

Have a look at my test page, it’s still a WIP but I implemented some things I have learned this week, especially how to completely move the top nav to the bottom and just have a menu icon. I have also made my 3 columns resize and be on their own row.

Let me know your thoughts, I know there is an issue with the @font-face icons, I just learned today how to use them!

http://groovymotion.com/PageStyle6.html

Cheers!

p.s. thanks for the reading material! :)

GroovyMotion
    Participant

you mean like the text I have inside my main image “Web Designer | UI” ? Because all the rest is just font-face.

For some reason the menu when it’s resized for mobiles it’s not clickable on my phone but it works in all my browsers/PC’s! :(

GroovyMotion
    Participant

You mean just have the menu at the bottom shown and not the content?

GroovyMotion
    Participant

Ok thanks, I will try that!

GroovyMotion
    Participant

Geez my media-queries page has over 400 lines of code! But, each elements are almost perfect for any size! :)

Robert
    Participant

GroovyMotion, if you want to build fully responsive business website go for magento themes they provide you all the important features which helps yur website to be responsive.

nixnerd
    Participant

I would look into something called a “fluid first approach.” This is the idea that every element by default can shift and resize to fit nicely together as a whole. Now… undoubtedly there will be breakpoints. I shoot for less than 3.

Keep in mind that if you want to go with a more progressive, avant-garde layout… you might have problems with responsive.

GroovyMotion
    Participant

Thanks @Robert but they cost money which I am out of right now! This would require magento I guess.

@Joe_Temp
    yeah breakpoints are somewhat inevitable.
    Right now my approach is pretty straightforward but thanks to the help of @jurotek in another thread more semantic way for layout he gave me great tips, I was using way too much code! I went from a media-queries css file of 389 lines to 30 with almost the exact same layout! It’s not finished but it’s quite a drastic change!

But then again, when I start building bigger sites I will have to consider a much bigger media-queries file!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.