Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Shot in the dark… wash denim that is.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    nixnerd
    Participant

This is super weird. Nothing at all to do with the web or any sort of code. But… I need to ask @chrisburton, resident style expert about denim. Yup. So, if you don’t want to talk jeans, just move along.

@chrisburton
    , wondering how much if any you know about raw denim. Trying to get a custom fit on a pair of 501 shrink to fits. I basically want my 501 jeans to shrink to the point that they’re basically a custom 511. Does any of that make sense to you? I want them to end up super slim… but have a tailored look. Do you have any suggestions on what size to buy them when they’re raw/not shrunk? Up a size? Down a size? I’m confused.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give.

See here for a resource:

http://mynudies.com/showthread.php?10206-Levi-s-501-STF-2010/page33

This dude bought 501s two sizes too small… and THEN shrunk them. That takes courage. But I guess he stretched the shit out of the waistband? I don’t know dude… I’m new to raw denim. Thanks again.

chrisburton
    Participant

@Joe_Temp Hey. I haven’t been around lately. Just got back from vacation this past weekend. Are you adamant about raw denim or are you looking for a particular fit?

Email me and I’ll get back to you tomorrow.

nixnerd
    Participant

Don’t know your email bro. Sorry. That’s why I had to resort to these measures.

chrisburton
    Participant
    nixnerd
    Participant

These are perfect:

Mr. West is not.

chrisburton
    Participant

@Joe_Temp

The picture above shows Kanye sagging his jeans which is also why you see long and rippled cuffs. I’m not sure of what your particular style is or if you are adamant about raw denim so that you can establish your own fade to your jeans so it’s hard to determine of what I should suggest.

Therefore, I’m a little confused in which it appears you want to stay within the cost of 501’s and desire the same type of fit (not so much a tailored fit but a skinny jean)? If that’s the case, I can direct you to a few local stores where you can get the fade of the denim already established. So is it that you want a nice fitting skinny jean or are you adamant about raw denim?

Update: I just realized that the email I had in place on my website was incorrect. My fault entirely and is now updated.

nixnerd
    Participant

The picture above shows Kanye sagging his jeans

The jeans are perfect. The way he’s wearing them is not.

which is also why you see long and rippled cuffs.

I think you’re seeing his shoe laces. I don’t actually think his cuffs are able to move past his high tops because they are too tight.

I’ll email you and move off this board. Thanks!

nixnerd
    Participant

Hey just in case anyone is wondering (which you’re not)… 501 shrink to fits worked out QUITE nicely. They’re a really nice pair of jeans for $39. Nicer than most jeans that cost double that… or more. They can’t touch the quality of high-end selvedge but hey… I’m a simple guy.

Cool thing about them is, you can control how tight you want them. Want em loose? Size up. Want them really slim fitting? Size down 2 like me. Then, shrink them and stretch them back out to get that custom fit.

Aside: They should actually be called “stretch to fit” in my case. Because I shrunk them tight as hell and now I’m “stretching” them to fit my body. I have high hopes.

This thread should be closed forever. Unless it’s not. Penalty for necro-bumping this thread? You have to talk about jeans on a coding site.

nixnerd
    Participant

Problem completely solved. Going to wear these 501s for awhile and see how they turn out. But… probably going to get myself a pair of Naked and Famous jeans for Christmas:

Just look at those fades. Awesome. These are Canadian jeans, made with Japanese denim. I wonder if @TheDoc wears Naked and Famous jeans.

nixnerd
    Participant

Whoa, whoa, whoa. You live in Canada and you hate wearing pants? That’s insanity sir. But I applaud your brutally tough legs.

I won’t knock you for having < 3 pairs of jeans though. That’s generally the way I keep it. How are they going to get that vintage look if they’re taking turns with a million other pairs?

I once went to the mall and bought like 7 pairs of jeans. Biggest mistake ever. One pair naturally became my favorite and the rest just sat in the closet.

chrisburton
    Participant

There’s nothing wrong with owning several jeans (not that either of you are implying it). I just wouldn’t buy similar washes. Overall, I prefer slim/tailored chinos and slacks with a pair of double monk-strap shoes.

nixnerd
    Participant

No, there’s not. And it DEFINITELY depends on your style. If someone doesn’t like worn looking jeans… they should own quite a few.

I used to wear way more slacks and chinos in my office working days… but no more. I think I own like 2 pairs.

I go jeans with a nice pair of Danner’s if it’s snowing:

Sneakers if its not.

Hey @chrisburton… you’re in NY right?

chrisburton
    Participant

Not currently in New York right now. I’m finishing up a few semesters here and transferring back.

nixnerd
    Participant

There is full-blown culture shock when I visit the East Coast. The ‘dress code’ for professionals is DRASTICALLY different than the West Coast/Mountain West. It’s unreal. It might be the biggest cultural difference there is. It’s so normal here for people to wear boots, ski jackets, flannels and beards to work.

East Coast people generally hate me. They always level the same charge too… “He’s too laid back.” Granted… all the people who say that are a bit older. Maybe its a generational thing. I don’t know.

nixnerd
    Participant

It’s so normal here for people to wear boots, ski jackets, flannels and beards to work.

Well, this would be normal in Williamsburg too. But I think you HAVE TO work at a Coffee shop or bar to pull it off.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.