Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Sharing SASS and CSS Files

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jkinney768
    Participant

So I’ll try to explain this as well as I can. I’ve been really wanting to start using SASS at work, but the issue is, no one else here really uses SASS or has the desire to. My question is that if I start using SASS for a project, and it gets passed to someone who doesn’t know how/want to use the SASS file and just goes in to the regular .css file to make any kind of updates or addition, does that really through everything off if they go in and make a bunch of changes?

I’m curious to know if anyone has run in to this type of scenario when projects get passed around and if it’s really worth using SASS if no one else is going to since I can imagine the files can get pretty in consistent with each other and sloppy.

Senff
    Participant

Well yea, if your co-worker edits the .CSS file (and not the SASS one), then you might run into trouble, once you edit your SASS one again and compile it — your co-worker’s edits will be overwritten again.

A few ways to handle this.
    1. Convince/force your co-workers to use SASS as well so that all of you always edit the same source.
    2. Ask them to make any changes in a separate CSS file, and you will incorporate it in your SASS file later.
    3. The one I prefer (for the moment) and what works in my job: use SASS in development/building phase (done by one person) and for maintenance/fixes/etc, use the .CSS file (done by many persons).

So basically, I would say use SASS up to the point where other people start getting involved in editing the CSS.

jkinney768
    Participant

Thanks, the third option you listed is probably the best/smartest route to go since I’m pretty sure I won’t be able to convince my co-workers to switch over (which switching would be the smarter thing to do in my opinion).

aoeui
    Participant

@jkinney768
    welcome to real world of corporate design :)

some people want smarter solutions because it makes their work easier
    some people ignore this because = the faster (easier) they do it the less work they have = fear for not having work eventually :)

how many times I saw this already = many :)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.