Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Shady ISP shenanigans

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    nixnerd
    Participant

I’ve got a bit of an issue with my ISP. I live in a city where Comcast, now known as Xfinity is my only option. I pay for “up to 50 mbps.” But… RARELY do I get that. Anyway, I’ve noticed that if a site is having trouble loading, I can open another tab and go to the Ookla Speedtest website. AS SOON AS I DO THIS… the original page in the other tab will load.

It seems as though Comcast is throttling me and has some sort of trigger to speed things up when I’m about to check my connection speed.

I’ve tested this about 100 times. Is this pure coincidence or do you think it’s shady?

__
    Participant

Probably shady, especially if the first site is something like YouTube or Netflix (or something else that is higher-bandwidth).

If you want to find out, try using a VPN service like privateinternetaccess.com or goldenfrog.com/vyprvpn. VyprVPN has a free trial, so you can make sure it solves your issue before paying for it.

(I found out about these particular services through TekSyndicate. They also discuss the “throttling” issue fairly often.)

nixnerd
    Participant

I LOVE Tek Syndicate. Thanks.

__
    Participant

I LOVE Tek Syndicate. Thanks.

They have affiliate links/ ads for those VPN providers, if you want to show them the love.

nixnerd
    Participant

They have affiliate links/ ads for those VPN providers

Did you know I might be in the market for a new VPN??

nixnerd
    Participant

Oh… and did you see their YouTube episode on Mechanical Keyboards?

__
    Participant

Did you know I might be in the market for a new VPN??

?
    Isn’t that what we were talking about?

did you see their YouTube episode on Mechanical Keyboards?

yes, yes, yes … :p

btw, lately I’ve been switching back-and-forth between two machines, and I pulled out the original keyboard that came with my desktop: HP 5187 (which I discovered is actually manufactured by Logitech; no wonder I like it), which is a mechanical… I had forgotten how nice they actually are. and this is a pretty cheap one.

nixnerd
    Participant

Isn’t that what we were talking about?

Sorry. Misread and mistyped that. My brain has been consumed with the VPS search lately. So that’s what I was thinking. As soon as I went to Tek Synicate… I realized I had mistyped that and didn’t bother to come back here and and correct it.

I’m going to check that out or put some kind of something in place so Comcast can’t destroy my dreams anymore.

I still haven’t invested in a mech because I’m really at a loss for what would be the best one to start with. I did go to Micro Center and type on some Cherry MX Blues. They felt really good, save for the fact that the key depression was too light. I’d like something a bit heavier and more tactile. Clears or greens might be what I’m after. I’d like to type on a few more to get a feel for them.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.