Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Setting up a wordpress blog for the first time

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Thadley
    Participant

Hello fellas,

I have a new version of my website almost completed and this time I would want to integrate a blog. I mostly have it all set up from what I have figured out up to this point.

http://www.stage1.thomasjohnhadley.com/blog

The things I would need help with is how to set up the comments and the search form field. The comments haven’t really been touched by CSS yet and they are all nested inside each other. I don’t want them nested but rather all separated and for each comment depth, have them less wide then their parent to illustrate the fact that it’s the child of that comment and so on.

I have a question in regards to the comments, after a certain time comments are closed and people will not be able to comment. How can you remove that so that people will be able to comment all the time?

Now, in regards to the search form field, I noticed something odd when you search stuff. For example, I searched “third random post” which is a random fake post I did to help design and that’s the only thing that shows up which is good. But when I searched “post” it basically mashed my whole site on one search result page.

Is there a way to restrict your search form field to only search posts and not other pages and information on your site? If that’s a good thing or not, I’m not sure.

Sorry for the super huge post but I haven’t really setup a blog before and hopefully someone can help me out a little and figure things out. :D

TheDoc

I have a question in regards to the comments, after a certain time comments are closed and people will not be able to comment. How can you remove that so that people will be able to comment all the time?

Settings > Discussions

It should be one of the checkboxes in there.

Thadley
    Participant

@TheDoc Alrighty, I found the comment expiration check box so that is good. Although another question, if I uncheck the nested comments 5 levels deep. Will I still be able to style the depth of the comments or not? If that makes sense.

chrisburton
    Participant

This may help you from the search results displaying your “whole site”.

https://css-tricks.com/forums/discussion/10815/wordpress-search/p1

Thadley
    Participant

@ChristopherBurton Thanks alot bro! That did the trick! Now when ever i search something generic, it will only look through my posts and not my site as a whole! :D

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.