Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS semantics???–update

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    cssnew

Which one is better? or say more semantic?

Firstname

Middle name

Lastname

Web Designer

Front-end Developer

or

Firstname
    Middle name
    Lastname
    Web Designer
    Front-end Developer

I also like to change the color of the last 2 lines, Web Designer and Front-end Developer.

Or you have something better?
    Thanks..

Paulie_D

Neither is semantically correct as such in reference to the Name. If you want to change the last two lines you can wrap them in a single span and target it with css.

Firstname

Middle name

Lastname

Web Designer

Front-end Developer

but honestly I’d lose the ‘br’ and have each line in a header tag wrapped in an hgroup and then target the h2

Firstname

Middle name

Lastname

Web Designer

Front-end Developer

See it in action: http://tinkerbin.com/SaMluU7c

cssnew

thanks for the quick reply..
    I didn’t know I can use more than one h1 tag..
    anyway this is for my logo, at first I went with an image but after reading some posts here, I wanted to make it pure text(CSS).
    so is the hgroup thing OK with this?

thanks again..

Paulie_D

If it’s for your logo then it would make sense to use image replacement but if you don’t want to do that then an hgroup is one way.

I suppose that ideally the h1 should wrap the whole name for SEO reasons and so you COULD use a ‘br’ instead of individual h1s. I dislike doing that but each to their own . Ideally, the h1 should also be a link.

See here: http://tinkerbin.com/TcASyPgv

cssnew

thank you so much..m/

Paulie_D

I absolutely agree that the name should be on inline ( I was going to suggest it) but I assumed that the ‘br’ separation was a design choice. It’s not one I would have made…I prefer logos..but each to their own.

Frankly, unless your name is highly individual, I would go with “XXXX Web Designs” or whatever as a business name rather than just your name. The most common usage of the ‘first middle last’ naming is for serial killers or assassins…LOL

I can go either way on the h1 inside the tag or outside but in general I prefer wolfcry’s version… I was typing in a hurry.

On the span vs. br issue… I don’t see it make much difference other than it seems to me that using the ‘span’ is less semantic….but that one is entirely subjective.

chrisburton
    Participant

Sorry to be off-topic but I disagree on using “XXXX Web Designs” if it is not a legitimate business as it is misleading (DBA, LLC, INC, etc). Using your individual name is perfectly fine and I would encourage it you’re freelancing.

Paulie_D

If he’s selling his services then he IS a legitimate business.

As long as he isn’t misleading about his status (LLC, INC, CORP etc) then I don’t see the problem. Where I am (the UK) you are allowed to have any trading name you like as long as, as I said, it’s not misleading as to your legal status.

As I said, if he has a highly unusual name then it’s fine for SEO but e.g. “John Paul Smith” will do nothing.

chrisburton
    Participant

DBA – ‘Doing Business As’. Professionally I would strongly consider becoming an LLC. Naming something like “XXX Web Designs” and selling his service is “doing business” but not as a legitimate company. It is completely fine but like I said, professionally it isn’t legitimate. These are just my views.

Paulie_D

As wolfcry says…the spans are non-semantic but then so are ‘br’s. It seems to me that adding a couple of breaks is quicker and easier than adding spans and then styling them….but it’s entirely an a matter of choice unless , as he says, if you wanted to add additional styling…then the spans would add value.

standuncan

In my own opinion, I would keep it on one line for readability issues, however if you’re dead set on breaking your name into multiple lines… I would probably go this route:

FirstMiddleLast

Web Designer

Front-end Developer

My reasoning: I think break tags should not be used for “styling”. Yes they are a quick way to break text lines, or “add margin”, but in reality this is more of a styling you want versus breaking text. For instance, if you need more or less spacing/margin of what just the <br /> defaults as, you are going to need to add CSS anyway. Use a span and apply your CSS and be done with it???

You have always been able to use multiple H1’s, but it has been recommended against. I think because it was usually done incorrectly. An now in HTML5 is is definitely allowed and even promoted in certain situations, but this is an entire different topic and not in the sense you are trying to achieve. my .02 cents

standuncan

Also, have you thought what is more important as for your markup goes…

“your name”… or “Web Developer”? Which are you trying to market more? May be worth thinking about?

cssnew

Wow! Looks all the BIG name of this forum is here.
    First, it’s just a simple personal portfolio so the name is cool with me. No extra styling on each name. Just different color for the name and the tagline. It’s how i designed it in Photoshop, and right now I think I’m cool with it.

@standuncan
    – Can I do both? the name and Web Developer? lol..my first try was wrapping them in one h1.

anyway thank you so much guys..
    Have learned a lot again.

@cssnew Would you mind posting your mockup?

cssnew

@joshuanhibbert
    OK this was markup..

Francis Simon Nieves

Francis

Simon

Nieves

Web Designer
    Front-end Developer

Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et malesuada fames ac turpis egestas.

Featured Work

About Me

Quick Info

• Who // Francis Simon Nieves

• What // Web Designer/Developer

• Where // Baguio City

• When // 2010 - present

• Why // Passion

Technical Skills

Get In Touch

Contact Details

Phone Number
    +63 000-0000-000

Email Address
    francissimon[at]yahoo.com

Address
    Baguio City, Philippines 2600

Facebook
    francissimon

Drop Me A Line

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.