Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Selling a domain name

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I have a question.

I own, what I believe is a pretty valuable domain name. I bought it on a whim awhile ago. As far as I’m aware no one has previously thought of it, or owned it. It’s not doing me any good.

It’s very adult oriented. I am totally not interested in launching an adult website. I have nothing against it, but I’m not interested in that kind of project. I’d like to try to sell it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can go about doing this? Should I put it on an auction site and hope for the best? Or do you think it’d be better contact a couple of the bigger adult content providers on the internet?

Clearly payment would be a big concern. I wouldn’t want to release the domain until I have the money for it. But I’m sure a content provider wouldn’t want to cut a check, mail it to me and hope for the best.

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

In my experience people tend to overvalue what they think a domain name is worth. You might as well just tell us what it is. If you own it nobody can take it from you =). But yeah anway, I hear people tell me all the time that you should never have a dash in your domain name. I’m living proof that is ridiculous. So if you own blazinghotvagaina.com and think it’s worth at least $5,000, you are wrong. I could just buy blazing-hot-vagina.com for $10 and assuming the vaginas are truly hotter there, it’s going to win no matter who owns the dashless domain.

I didn’t want to turn the forum post into an advertisement, I figured that’d be bad etiquette.

The domain name is cocksuckersunlimited.com. I was intending to forward it to gop.gov, but I figured that might be in poor taste. Plus, I don’t want a letter from a lawyer. Warranted or not. I put it up on sedo for the suggested appraisal cost. I was going to poke around a couple of adult webmaster forums and see if anyone wants to take it off my hands.

As for dashes, I think you’re right. But to a limited degree.

Tech savvy folks like us don’t have a problem with dashes. But I used to work in a real estate brokerage as their entrenched IT support / web dev monkey. They had a dash in their URL, and holy crap did a lot of stupid people not get it.

I’d overhear phone conversations every day between agents and their clients.

"Our website is ma-alovelydelirealestate.com."

"No. Dash. No, not D-A-S-H. A hyphen. It’s next to the plus sign. No, not that plus sign. The plus sign next to your backspace key."

"No! That’s maalovelydelirealestate.com. That’s our competitor. No, they’re not the same. That ISN’T our website. Yes, I’m sure."

We’ll see where it goes. Worst case scenario I’m out the cost of a value meal at Taco Bell.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.