Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other See CSS Edit Live

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Erik
    Participant

If there a program that I can edit my site CSS and see the changes live without having to edit CSS on server then refreshing the page?

I use FireFox browser.

Thanks

Alan C
    Participant

Well if you insist on using FF then for now you would have to make due with Live Reload. Though of course as the name suggests it reloads the page, but there is no server required.

You could also use something like Brackets which has this functionality, but it only works in Chrome atm.

A final option is Emmet LiveStyle which works much like Brackets but doesn’t come with a code editor that you have to use. It works in Chrome and Safari.

nixnerd
    Participant

If it’s for a quick mockup… you can always use Codepen!

Erik
    Participant

OK, thanks.. Also has anyone used Bootstrap?

Was brushing up my CSS and it (Codcademy) started to tech me Bootstrap… is this the preferred method now?

Erik
    Participant

@TheDoc Hmm.. interesting!
    I was thinking bootstrap was an easier way to get things done, but it’s like relearning CSS all over lol.

Should master CSS before I jump on other things first.

nixnerd
    Participant

I have used Bootstrap… but I don’t like it. That’s me though. This goes back to what Alen said:

Use the tool that works for you.

Some people swear by Bootstrap. Some don’t. Most of us hand-roll our own frameworks for our own specific niche. Chris Coyier has an awesome video on grids. “Don’t overthink it grids.”

Sometimes the intellectual overhead associated with understanding someone else’s code just isn’t worth it. Other times… you might want to use something someone else built and it’s fine. Bootstrap I feel creates more problems than it solves. Again… one humble opinion.

nixnerd
    Participant

For me… it’s all about simplicity. If it’s more simple for me to implement my own grid system (which it often times is)… then I will. If not, then I won’t. Think about what’s easiest to maintain.

Erik
    Participant

@NIX When you start to build a website do you have a basic html template that you just paste that you make previously or do you start from scratch every time?

nixnerd
    Participant

The short answer is yes… I start from scratch. By that I mean… I don’t have a template that makes ANY assumptions about what I’m building.

That being said, I do have a project build script I wrote in bash. It creates a directory and gives me all the resources I need. But… don’t worry about that for now. Just start building from scratch is my opinion.

shaneisme
    Participant

Yay BrowserSync!

http://www.browsersync.io/

__
    Participant
    <!doctype html>
    <html>
    <head>
        <meta charset=utf-8>
        <title></title>
    </head>
    <body>
    </body>
    </html>

… that’s the extent of the assumptions I make.

Yay BrowserSync! —@shaneisme

That looks awesome. Have you tried it?
    combined with sass --watch, should be unstoppable. : )

Erik
    Participant

This is what I came up with for my first from scratch site… My First From Scratch Can tell you it a lot harder then just editing a WordPress site lol

nixnerd
    Participant

@shaneisme I owe you a drink sir! Awesome!!!

shaneisme
    Participant

Yes I use it daily. I have built up a bit of a device lab, so I’m quite literally surrounded by many different screens when I’m at work.

I feel like I’m in The Matrix.

nixnerd
    Participant

I feel like I’m in The Matrix.

I just got out:

This should work with Vim right since it just monitors a directory and reloads the browser right?

On another note. I’m getting a third monitor. But now I want a 4th the size of a tablet. I’d need a new graphics card though so… ain’t gonna happen. But I’m switching to a full tiled setup… so I’ll just make one tile the size of a tablet and one the size of a phone.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.