Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS seamless texture size?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    shamai

I have a 500px square seamless texture to use on my background.
    is 500px too big? should I remake it?
    what is a good size?
    thanks

Paulie_D

It’s not strictly the dimensions of the image that are important but rather the file size. Of course, in general, images that are larger in size tend to be larger in file size so there is some correlation.

Also the file type (png, jpg) can affect the file size.

Remember if your backgroud image has be served to the viewer and the larger it is the longer your page will take to load.

For a seamless texture, I wouldn’t go with more than 100px square but it depends on the effect you are trying to achieve.

Johann

dimensions do matter though. make a two colored .png that is 100000 x 100000 big… even if it’s just 10kb or something, older computers will shit bricks. that is because images always end up decompressed in memory.

though I doubt it actually matters when talking about 500 x 500 and just one image, it’s just something that can’t hurt to keep in mind.

oh, and if you’re using .png, you want this btw ;)

chrisburton
    Participant

Let’s be honest, why on earth would you need an image that large?

shamai

well…. thats how big my pattern was and now if i resize it and re’seam’ it …ugh….
    a matter of laziness?

chrisburton
    Participant

I was speaking to @johann, sorry.

Johann

that’s totally besides the point of how graphics and rendering work. I’m sure there’s *plenty* of people think a small image file is small in memory… and I just chose huge values to make a point, 5000 x 5000 is noticeable as well.

besides, one website might be one tab out of 50. that one background image might be one out of 50, too. so why not have a clue? it’s simply about the mechanics of the thing and common misconceptions.

chrisburton
    Participant

@shamai Maybe it does come down to laziness. Would you be kind to show us your pattern? Perhaps we or I could help you find easier ways to create patterns that need to tile.

shamai

either ill keep it or ill try to remake it myself…
    the pattern i used is a beautiful fabric pattern found as part of this pack:
    http://tileabl.es/packs/pack-4-fabric
    they come at 500px

I’m using number 12. when my website goes up ill show you how i used it…

chrisburton
    Participant

I’m sorry, number 12? There only seems to be 10 there. Upload the pattern somewhere and perhaps I can help you.

Mottie

@ChristopherBurton if you download the pack, there are 20 number patterns ;) – here is number 12.

chrisburton
    Participant

Thanks, @Mottie. I didn’t want to download that onto my computer.

chrisburton
    Participant

Right. So this texture is really time consuming to shrink and tile. What I did for you was optimize the image to significantly reduce the file size. This should load pretty quickly. http://jsfiddle.net/K8p8w/embedded/result

Ketan

It’s depends on texture design, if its repeated with some pixels then tale small size of texture(means if your texture design repeated with 50px so you would take 50px wide texture).

Reg. your texture size, its too big.

Thanks

amcpherson
    Participant

I would like to mention http://www.csstextures.com as a great place to download seamless css textures.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.