Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS SCSS Theme Picker Creation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Burlingame
    Participant

Hi everyone. I am redesigning the front end on an old app and want to use SCSS to create a theme picker. I am fairly new to SCSS however and am not 100% sure on how I would go about doing this. I was looking at creating separate scss files and housing variables specific to the colors then having one main file with all my css in it. I am not sure if there is an easy way to use javascript or some other method to point to different scss files to import based upon a user selection. That way I could dynamically change the css being applied to the components.

Shikkediel
    Participant

an easy way to use javascript or some other method to point to different scss files to import based upon a user selection. That way I could dynamically change the css being applied to the components.

If you’re using jQuery, it shouldn’t be too difficult. You would really only need a single text file and cache that content with Ajax. Then you could filter the currently appropriate style from that and paste it into the document accordingly. When another layout is requested, remove it and paste those new style rules instead.

Should also be doable with vanilla JS and XMLHttpRequest but slightly more complicated. I’m not familiar with SCSS though and any differences that might occur compared to regular CSS (but don’t really expect any).

Shikkediel
    Participant

Here’s an example, text file could look like this:

<style id="theme1">

</style>

<style id="theme2">

</style>

var style = {};

$.ajax({
      url: '/path-to/styles.txt',
      dataType: 'text',
      success: function(data) {
      var styles = $(data).filter('style').each(function() {
      var theme = this.id;
      style[theme] = this;
      });
      }
    });

It’s mostly untested because one can make a demo of this unless the file is on the same domain. But it should create an object you can switch the styles with. Which would like like this:

[var style]

{
    theme1: '<style id="theme1"> ... </style>',
    theme2: '<style id="theme2"> ... </style>'
    }

Burlingame
    Participant

Thanks a lot I will give it a look.

Gabriel
    Participant

Seems like the simplest way would be to just switch a classname on the &lt;body&gt; element with JS to apply the different theme styles?

So maybe you have a &lt;select&gt; menu, and that will switch out a body class depending on which one you pick (Google how to do that, should be pretty straightforward with jQuery), and then in your SCSS:

.element-1 {
      // base styles

.theme-1 & {
        // theme 1 styles
      }

.theme-2 & {
        // theme 2 styles
      }

// ...etc
    }

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.