Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript Script ActiveX Warning in IE

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    chrisnorris

I’m a newbie putting together a website for the company I work for. I’m using HTML and CSS on text editor COFFEECUP. I

wanted to put in a javascript slide show in the header. I found the code from a site called codelifter.com and have seen

this code on another site. It works fine on the other site. when I pasted the code on to my page and tried it in my IE

browser, the slide show doesn’t work, and a yellow bar appears across the top of my screen that says:
    "To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has restricted this webpage from running scripts or ActiveX controls that
    could access your computer. click here for options…. ", when I do– a drop down box appears that has an option "allow blocked content."

When the "allow blocked content"option is clicked, a box appears in center of the screen that says:
    Allowing active content such as script or ActiveX controls can be useful. However, active content might also harm your
    computer. Are you sure you want to let this file run active content?
    When I click yes–the slide show works.
    I’ve tried this on two other computers and get the same result.

This is more hassle than the average surfer would go through. What gets me is that this only happens when I’ve loaded my

work in progress site onto my browser. Whenever I’m surfing checking out sites ( that I’m pretty sure has scripts) with

this same IE browser, this warning never shows;and slideshows, animations, and everything else seems to work fine.

I also pasted in code (that has javascript) from wufoo.com for a "Contact" form. It doesn’t appear unless I click all

through these warnings, THEN it appears.

Is there some kind of hack I’m missing? Has anyone else encountered anything like this? Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks! Chris

Quick question… are you testing a local site, where all the files are on your computer, or are you testing a site that has been uploaded to the web? If I remember correctly, I had this issue at one point in the past. However, I only got the warning when viewing the site locally. When I uploaded it and viewed the site, the issue disappeared.

chrisnorris

Yes Ben, it’s only loaded locally. When I view the site on other computers, it’s by putting the folder of HTML/CSS files on a flash drive and sticking it into the USB of the other computer. That’s an encouraging to hear, and makes sense. Thanks!
    Chris

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.