Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Safari issues

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    I.m.learning
    Participant

I have been testing my codes using IE, FF, and Chrome. I have received feedback from a tablet owner using Safari; she noted the animations work.

However, I have set up just text to note how I plan on setting up the language; the lines of text for the 2 buttons read:
    This will be the language buttons (this is button 1)
    They will be names, not flags (button 2)

When she opens it up, she can only read
    This will be & names, not flags

She was going to send me an email with an image so I could view this and check it later. However, she cannot validate her email account. I’m not sure if I even need to worry about this because she said the animations work. Any ideas, suggestions, comments?

Paulie_D

What you have is pretty vague.

A link or a Codepen.io demo is ideal so we can actually see the code.

I.m.learning
    Participant

The code is irrelevant; it all works; Safari just cuts off my text

As I stated above:
    the dropdown works
    the color works
    the animation works
    Safari is removing some of the text.

I’m just checking if someone else has an issue and does not require a visual aid. Besides, I am not paying for a service I may never need again.

When the user has sent me an image, then I will post it; I can save money by just taking the image, pasting it to a blank html page in my website , and send the link.

I’m not really concerned about this at all; just checking for similar issues and possible solutions to get a better idea myself.

What I am more concerned about is cookies to save the preferences; I have looked at a baker’s dozen of examples and still cannot figure those things out. If making cookies were as easy as baking cookies, I’d be enjoying a glass of milk instead of having to milk it.

Paulie_D

Code is rarely irrelevant.

Cookies is simpler than it looks (apparently), and there are more than a few JS plugins to manage it for you.

I’ve just been learning about local storage and parsing out some basic Jquery examples c&p from Stack Overflow.

I.m.learning
    Participant

Yes, that was the term I noted before but put it aside then couldn’t remember it later.

Now I just messed everything up because I had created documents to add to my site, but accidentally placed them in my recycle bin and purposely emptied the recycle bin.
    Now I am in the process of downloading a program to retrieve the “idiot” mistake.

What I’m doing is trying to make my files more organized and I’m causing more havoc in doing so. I just do not want to open my file manager on the server and have everything listed in a single list.

Guess trying to make my site look professional is causing rookie mistakes. If it isn’t one thing, it’s another. If I ever get a job in web development, I want to ensure I know what I’m doing…
    so far,
    not so good!

I.m.learning
    Participant

So, I royally missed some of my paths. I added a new page. I created the page under my www folder, in wamp.

As I loaded the page to my server, it kept the formatting. If you are unaware, to open a PHP script in the browser, you enter:
    http://localhost/…

As I was about to check what needed to change, it actually stayed how it was created. Is this a fluke?

And then, as I was going through all my codes to make everything an absolute path, I came across styleswitch.js under bootstrap. Is this the cookie code I been looking for?

I am finding new things to toy with every time I attempt to make a new page. This is what makes me take so long to update my site. But I did mess something up and need to make sure all my CSS and img files paths are absolute and not relative. That way, it doesn’t matter what I add or change, it should always load correctly.

Shikkediel
    Participant

I don’t have Safari installed so can’t reply to the original question…

Also, I don’t see a link to styleswitch.js on your page, or any conclusive search results what it might entail.

Show us some code or a link to it at least. ;-)

What I would advice is to have a look at the page source with Firefox. Stray tags are displayed in red which is always very helpful. There are quite a few in there.

Another good tool to use for this

Cookies in the form of localStorage are indeed quite simple to create and have great backwards compatibility but require some JS.

I.m.learning
    Participant

I received the image; I do not need to post the image as it’s easily explainable.

Safari is taking my cornered radius buttons and changing them to rounded corners. This means I need the code to remove Safari’s styling. Also, it is making my buttons smaller, that’s why it is removing the text, the buttons are not growing in height with the content.

I’m not sure exactly how to do this. It has something to do with

I found this for inputs:
    input {
    -webkit-appearance: none; // remove shadow in iOS
    @include border-radius(0); // remove border-radius in iOS
    }

But mine is a dropdown.
    I cannot find the resource for where to place the code.

I also found
    -webkit-border-radius: 0;
    border-radius: 0;
    -webkit-box-shadow: none;
    box-shadow: none;

Do I need to define this for my dropdown in my css, or just anywhere in my css?

I.m.learning
    Participant

I was looking into installing Safari, but there is no more support for Safari for windows. I had not thought about Safari issues because most of W3 examples stated all 5 browsers supported many codes.

I didn’t even know what Safari was, and still don’t know what Opera is. I have tested all my pages in the 3 major browsers and many different screen sizes (up to 32″)

Let me put the image onto my website real quick and post the link in a few minutes.

I.m.learning
    Participant

When I look at this image in my pictures (my computer), the image is right-side up.

When opening in a web page, the image is upside down. I’m not going to waste a ton of time, you can see the image on my site now

http://www.honestlee.info/issue.jpg

I.m.learning
    Participant

Just when I thought I had it, I lost it. I had to fix many issues because my browsers on my computer showed everything good; but I used a smartphone and mom’s computer to run it and everything failed.

I probably have too many meta tags, and links; however, I fixed the issue that you had stated

It’s validated now. I received an email from my server and they claim the server never did any of that and it was me blaming them. They had performed maintenance yesterday and everything is fine now.

https://validator.w3.org/nu/?doc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.honestlee.info%2F

I give up on the safari issue; there’s no way I am downloading an Apple program on my PC that is no longer supported. I may have to add a disclaimer for Safari users that the system may not be compatible. I have yet to find out what Opera is.

I’m going to look at the changestyle.js Bootstrap has and see if that’s a feasible tool. I am more curious about what you mentioned about local storage. I have 100 GB of server space and even containing all 1.3 million species is only around 28,000 KB.

Let’s close this thread, unless someone else has code to fix the Safari issue, there’s no reason to continue this discussion.

Thank you for your feedback, I was looking for the term “local storage” and couldn’t remember what the term was.

I.m.learning
    Participant

Just when I thought I had it, I lost it. I had to fix many issues because my browsers on my computer showed everything good; but I used a smartphone and mom’s computer to run it and everything failed.

I probably have too many meta tags, and links; however, I fixed the issue that you had stated

It’s validated now. I received an email from my host and they claim the server never did any of that and it was me blaming them. They had performed maintenance yesterday and everything is fine now.

https://validator.w3.org/nu/?doc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.honestlee.info%2F

I give up on the safari issue; there’s no way I am downloading an Apple program on my PC that is no longer supported. I may have to add a disclaimer for Safari users that the system may not be compatible. I have yet to find out what Opera is.

I’m going to look at the changestyle.js Bootstrap has and see if that’s a feasible tool. I am more curious about what you mentioned about local storage. I have 100 GB of server space and even containing all 1.3 million species is only around 28,000 KB.

Let’s close this thread, unless someone else has code to fix the Safari issue, there’s no reason to continue this discussion.

Thank you for your feedback, I was looking for the term “local storage” and couldn’t remember what the term was.

Shikkediel
    Participant

Looking at the CSS (the webkit prefix appears striken out with Firefox but can be seen nonetheless), Bootstrap is the last to add -webkit-appearance: button. This would have to be overridden by a none as far as I can see. I think you should maybe place your custom stylesheet after it in the document markup.

You might run into more trouble otherwise as well, Bootstrap has a bunch of defaults that could cancel out what you’ve coded yourself.

Opera’s “just another browser” with a minor market share, very similar to Chrome (also webkit engine). I always include it in my check anyway – it rarely has any issues (unlike early IE or Android, the two trickiest browsers when it comes to compatibility).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.