Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS s and spacing problems

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    dutch
    Participant

Fairly noob here, so this is probably elementary stuff, but I’m flummoxed. Two problems with this page.

1) The link called “My books” rides high for some reason

2) The second heading on the page–Editing–wants to stay jammed right up against the text above it, no matter what I try.

If the page’s source code doesn’t provide the answer, let me know and I will figure out how to post the css.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Paulie_D

Oh dear…this menu is all built with images replacing text.

Surely we can do better than that!? There’s no need for that in this century.

Anyway, I suspect this has is related to the background-position…try something like

#mybooks {
        display: inline-block;
        width: 81px;
        height: 33px;
        background: transparent url("images/mybooks1.gif") no-repeat scroll 0px -1px; 
    }

Paulie_D

On the “Editing” thing…more issues.

Please don’t use <br> tags or empty p tags for spacing…that’s not what they are for.

Spacing should be manged through margins and padding.

In this case, this is an h1 tag (although you should really be using an h2 or h3 here) and you’ve removed the top margin with:

h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6 {
        padding: 0;
        margin: 0 0 29px;
    }

dutch
    Participant

Ha. Pretty hacked-together, eh? I’m last century in so many ways you wouldn’t believe it, Paul. Thanks for the pointers; I’ll try to implement them and see if I can get things where I want them.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.