Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Run Linux on Windows Program?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Alen
    Participant

@erik24

How familiar are you with Virtual Environments?

I can show you few steps to get your server up and running using Virtual Box, Vagrant, Vagrant Boxes and/or Vaprobash.

• Oracle VM VirtualBox, virtualization.
    • Vagrant, environment management
    • Vagrant Boxes, list of downloadable OS environments
    • and/or Vaprobash, easy provisioning script

All of this might spin your head but don’t worry setup is not difficult. First two are simple, just download and install software. Next two are just ways of quickly provisioning a server. After that it’s just simply executing few commands. Nothing to difficult.

I can also help you out with setting up clean install of WordPress, then you may play with WPscan. I never used it so you’re on your own there.

Let me know,
    Alen

__
    Participant

Just install Ubuntu right beside Windows and use Ubuntu to do your WPScan thing.

or boot it from a flash drive. But VMs are cooler.

nixnerd
    Participant

@traq Shhhh. Trying to get him to take the first step towards leaving The Matrix.

nixnerd
    Participant

But VMs are cooler.

I want to install KVM so bad.

Erik
    Participant

Downloading Ubuntu right now to see what it all about

nixnerd
    Participant

Sound good my man. Pretty awesome. You might take Alen up on his offer too. Sounds like he knows what’s up on the virt. front.

Erik
    Participant

Well… I downloaded Ubuntu and burned to a boot disk.. now I kinda scared to install cause what if I want to go back to windows again someday or do they run together?

nixnerd
    Participant

Erik, Ubuntu is very easy to install. It is the easiest of all distributions IMHO. All you have to do is click through a bunch of options. It will give you the option to “Dual Boot.” This means that your hard drive will be partitioned, creating a wall of sorts between the two operating systems. You can imagine one big room, that has a wall put in the middle. One room basically becomes two. If you ever want it gone, you can easily take the wall down and it’s like it never even happened.

Every time you boot up, you’ll get what we call a GRUB menu. You’ll be able to decide if you want to boot into Ubuntu, or Windows.

Super easy.

__
    Participant

If you’re scared to install right now, first off, you don’t have to. Did you burn a CD or USB stick? In either case, you can try Ubuntu without installing. If you’re using a USB drive, you can even save your work (on the stick) without affecting your installed OS at all.

If you do install, I would not recommend (especially to a beginner) erasing Windows. First off, Windows is a hundred bucks that you don’t need to spend if you already have a copy. Next:

• back up your files before you start. Save your backup externally.
    • make sure you have recovery disks (or at least, a recovery partition) for Windows. If something goes wrong, you can just restore everything back the way it was.
    • install as “dual-boot.” The defaults should be just fine in most cases. If you have an older UEFI BIOS, you might run into odd (but generally correctable) glitches.
    nixnerd
    Participant

And again, you could just stick with VirtualBox. Installing on there is super easy and to delete the install… you just click one button.

valimai
    Participant

Since, we have this topic thread. I think this is the right time to ask about virtual box. I’m running windows program. Wouldn’t it be damage my hard drive in the future if I will install virtual box? Can it be install even in laptop?

Alen
    Participant

Wouldn’t it be damage my hard drive in the future if I will install virtual box?

VBox is just a piece of software. Like Photoshop, etc. I don’t think it will damage your anything.

Can it be install even in laptop?

Yes. It might run little slower, but yes. Increasing RAM will always help.

__
    Participant

Just to put this in perspective, virtualization software has been around almost as long as modern computers have. It’s not new, unstable, experimental, and/or black magic. You’ll need specialized hardware if you want to do something like passing a graphics card to a VM, but a basic VM can be run on just about anything successfully (even ARM processors).

It’s good to have more cores on your CPU, a good amount of extra space on your hard drive, and as Alen said, more RAM. When you set up the VM you’ll choose how many cores/threads/ RAM/ disk space to provision for it, and that will be your “virtual” hardware. You’ll need at least as much as required by whatever OS you’re going to run, and more is better. But Linux requires hardly anything.

This is not an answer to your question, but it’s a fun read if you want an idea of what can be done with VMs.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.