Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Design (review?) Personal website (mywebexpression.com)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    FezVrasta
    Participant

Hello,

I’d like to get some feedback and critique from you guys to improve the quality of my personal website.

It’s done with Node.js and the URL is: http://mywebexpression.com/

The website is my personal portfolio and “try to get some customer” site.

Thank you!

FezVrasta
    Participant

I’ve updated it with a new background and new navbar, waiting for feedbacks…

mmcgu1966
    Participant

I like the over-all styling, but had to hover over every single object on the page to find links and the only way they stand-out is a change in the cursor. I would recommend having a subtle change in the element itself (like the social links have), like having opacity: .85 that becomes opacity:1 on hover (or maybe the other way around). It’s also, not unusual to have the link move down 1px when clicked (position: relative; top: 1px) to give the user feedback that they clicked a link. Also, maybe give the contact-form inputs a subtle background change to show that they’re not simply an image.
    While this is a nicely styled site, little queues and feedback on actions go a long way.

__
    Participant

You seem to have a character encoding issue:

Your headers say UTF-8 (which is a good choice) —what encoding are you actually using?

icons-material-design.css:902

.icon-material-post-linkedin:before {
        content: "";
    }

FezVrasta
    Participant

thanks both for your feedback.

@mmcgu1966
    : do you mean even the buttons and the cards of the portfolio?

@__: which browser are you using? with google chrome everything looks good

__
    Participant

That screenshot was on FireFox. I didn’t check in other browsers. Chrome may be “guessing” correctly.

nixnerd
    Participant

Looks good on Firefox 31.0

mmcgu1966
    Participant

A site should be as intuitive as possible, so people don’t have to think about navigation. Is a tile an image or a link? Is the header logo a link or just a logo? Subtle changes can give the user cues as to what they’re supposed to do, but ultimately, the page should do what the user intuitively expects it to do and not be a learning experience.
    One good rule of thumb I’ve heard, is to have your mother look at it and if she asks any questions about WHAT, HOW and WHY, then maybe it needs a tweak.

nixnerd
    Participant

One good rule of thumb I’ve heard, is to have your mother look at it and if she asks any questions about WHAT, HOW and WHY, then maybe it needs a tweak.

I agree with this to some extent. Not always. Depends on who your clients are/will be. If you create niche sites for the fashion industry… which is pretty forward thinking on design, then make it as avant-garde as you want. Same would go for creative campaigns, the entertainment industry, etc.

__
    Participant

Looks good on Firefox 31.0

figured it out. fonts weren’t loading, for some reason.

back to your regularly scheduled broadcast.

FezVrasta
    Participant

I’ve updated the website trying to fix the problems raised here and on reddit, let me know what do you think now.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.