Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Returning to the web design game, where do I start?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    flex4life

I want to be most efficient and setup for the near future. Should I start with CSS3, Jquery (looks way nicer than javascript to me) and HTML 5?

I do know CSS and HTML4 in general, how different is CSS3 and HTML5? Is it progressive enhancement or is the syntax almost a different animal altogether?

TheDoc

It’s definitely progressive. Not a learning curve at all.

If you’re proficient with HTML and CSS, I’d start looking into theming for WordPress. It’ll involve a little bit of some PHP, but nothing that should be over your head.

Rob MacKay
    Participant

Firstly I would definitely recommend jQuery :)

If you know CSS and HTML4 – then I would say you have a very solid start. Like Mark said it is a good time to start adding HTML5 elements and to start looking into it. XHTML is my weapon of choice at the mo, but I am starting to look at HTML5. CSS3 I already use bit’s of.

I would recommend looking into some PHP, mainly because it is the most popular, it just helps when you are reading code in WordPress or whatever to see what is actually going on… There is a thread here that has an awesome series of beginner videos – that is if you have never done anything with it :D

http://css-tricks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1721

Best thing to do though is get right back into it as soon as possible :)

flex4life

These days web designers have to wear many many hats and it can feel overwhelming. Thanks for the encouragement.

"TheDoc" wrote:
    It’s definitely progressive. Not a learning curve at all.

If you’re proficient with HTML and CSS, I’d start looking into theming for WordPress. It’ll involve a little bit of some PHP, but nothing that should be over your head.

flex4life

Actually I was listening to the big web show podcast promoting Jeremy’s book yesterday, cool coincidence.

What i want to do is to be the most efficient. I don’t want to unneccesarily confuse my brain with syntax (HTML4, XHTML and HTML 5). HTML 5 seems to be the future so I guess it’s probably best to learn and start using that syntax.

"TT_Mark" wrote:
    A lot of HTML5 is supported in some browsers (with the current exception of IE) however, unlike XHTML 2.0 and XHTML 1.1, HTML5 and HTML4.1 can be used interoperably.

There is nothing stopping you from starting to introduce HTML5 elements into your markup. For example, you can used the HTML5 Doctype declaration.

Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html>

You can also start to use HTML5 form elements. Input types email, url and tel will just default to text in any browser that doesnt understand them.

I’d heavily recommend Jeremy Keith’s book HTML5 For Web Designers. It’s small, concise and to the point on everything you need to know

flex4life

Ya dude I’m diving right into it but just want to get a feel what I am immersing myself in.

Awesome PHP screencasts! BTW I am very excited about Jquery :D

"Robskiwarrior" wrote:
    Firstly I would definitely recommend jQuery :)

If you know CSS and HTML4 – then I would say you have a very solid start. Like Mark said it is a good time to start adding HTML5 elements and to start looking into it. XHTML is my weapon of choice at the mo, but I am starting to look at HTML5. CSS3 I already use bit’s of.

I would recommend looking into some PHP, mainly because it is the most popular, it just helps when you are reading code in WordPress or whatever to see what is actually going on… There is a thread here that has an awesome series of beginner videos – that is if you have never done anything with it :D

http://css-tricks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1721

Best thing to do though is get right back into it as soon as possible :)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.