Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript Returning every third odd number within a user specified range

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    kgscott284
    Participant

All I am trying to do is simply return every third odd number within a specified range.

This one is a bit weird for me, I tried a few different things but nothing even worth posting as my attempts yielded no results close to what i was looking for, I have a feeling it is out of the scope of my current capabilities, any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance.

pixelgrid
    Participant

are the numbers consecutive? like 1-100 or 323-555?

kgscott284
    Participant

Consecutive, Starting at 1….What i am going to do since it is for my personal use is make an html form with 2 text boxes for the range…the closest thing i have of the basic functionality is this, i just am not sure where to go from there…and i don;t think it is looping correctly i still have to check on that….like i said, i know crap about javascript…i can do every other with this method, not every third though…

perhaps using splice or push would be a better option?

var arr = [1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15,17,19,21,23,25];
    for(var i = 1; i < arr.length; i+=2){
    console.log(i);
    }

pixelgrid
    Participant

get the value of the end of the range the second input and change arr.length with that value, no need to store all the odd numbers to an array

kgscott284
    Participant

I am going to expand on this so using an array will make it easier for me to work with when i get that far…

Here is my thought on using the splice idea, I think this one works just fine actually for my purpose:

var arr = [1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15,17,19,21,23,25];

for(var i = 0; i < arr.length; i++) {
    arr.splice(i+1,2);
    }

console.log(arr);

pixelgrid
    Participant

you dont know how big the range will be so storing the array before that its wrong , have a look at this code
    http://codepen.io/anon/pen/Gtflb also checks if the input is a number larger than zero

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.