Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS responsive vs. adaptive

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    shamai

so I make my websites using percentages so I guess its somewhat responsive, except that I have media queries along the way to help out mostly with images that persist in being difficult

I also plan on changing some of the layout as the window shrinks so i guess its a bit of both…

here is the website im currently making. (just started so its not even there yet…)
    notice how the ads are annoying on resize.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1090829/inmonsey/index.html
    Is it ok to make them shrink like the htumbs I have for the articles or will advertisers be angry?

dfogge
    Participant

they will most likely be very angry.

here’s loads of good info on what you can do instead: http://www.ravelrumba.com/blog/responsive-ads-real-world-ad-server-implementation/

shamai

the website im making -im hosting the ads on my own. not through a third party… at least for now. Im using a wordpress plugin to do it myself.

im confused a bit by the article.
    that article seems to say hiding ads with css on window-resize is bad.

but on pageload, getting the right ads and NOT getting certain ads, is better.
    how? (besides maybe bandwidth)

its sounds like the same thing?

anyhow when people want to place ads on my site, don’t I have to tell them that this one will only show up if there is a sidebar… or this one will show up everywhere…
    prices based on how much exposure an ad will get

Paulie_D

As to the last comment…as long as you clearly state when and where the ad will show up that’s fine.

They shouldn’t be left in the dark though. You would have to let them know what % of traffic to the site is coming in at the sizes you are offering.

If 95% of your traffic is mobile based and the ad is 750px wide….I’d offer a significant discount.

dfogge
    Participant

“but on pageload, getting the right ads and NOT getting certain ads, is better. how? (besides maybe bandwidth)”

the number of times a banner is requested from the server is called “impressions”. this number is used to figure out how many users actually saw the banner. loading a banner on page resize vs page load will make that metric pretty worthless.

maybe there’s a way to track impressions that can take the responsive loading into account but im not aware of it.

shamai

is it ok if I round the corners of ads? border-radius the images?
    it will only help the ads look like they are part of my theme

Paulie_D

That’s for you to agree with the advertiser.

dfogge
    Participant

you cant if they’re flash banners.

Paulie_D

>you cant if they’re flash banners.

Could you radius a div wrapping of the banner and do it that way?

dfogge
    Participant

not sure. lemme run a quick test.

dfogge
    Participant

it looks like you cant actually crop into the swf, but i think paulie might be on to something by wrapping the swf in a div and giving that div a border with a border-radius.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.