Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Responsive Mobile Navigation In WordPress

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    clayton47
    Participant

I am a bit of a hack when it comes to css. I dont know that I always do things the “right way”, but I try to take what I can from all the CSS wizards like Chris and the folks he has on shoptalkshow.com.

I was looking at the WordPress twenty twelve theme to see how they constructed the css for responsive design. Right away I seen that they’re using “display:none;” on the menu button for the mobile menu switcher.

A while back Chris had Laura Kalbag on shoptalkshow.com and she then put out this article about using display: none; in responsive web design. I read through that, probably need to get a refresher. But when should you or shouldn’t you use it?

I have been trying to get my own little library of css for responsive design to implement on my small projects. I have tried adapting some of bootstrap and the HTML5 boiler plate code but working with the WordPress menu can be tricky at times. Everything I build is always around WordPress for my little world of web design. And before reading the article mentioned above, I was using display none A LOT!.

What type of advice would you guys have one tackling this? I feel the rest of the theme structure is easy. We all know that nav menu’s can be pretty difficult to begin with.

Thanks, Clayton

clayton47
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. Even the ID’s vs classes kind of confuses me a bit. I heard them on the shoptalk show talking about it. But what is the real reason why you shouldn’t use ID’s often?

And about the performance hit on display:none from what I have read it does still load images. They just dont display.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.