Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Responsive design not working on all devices.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    First Things
    Participant

Hello dear reader,

Recently I went online with my own website. I try to make best possible way. My own website The various tests for ESS EEE OHH [Mod Edit] ]and google webmaster tools were good.

My website:

http://www.firstthings.be/

Of course I try my website as responsive as possible for as many devices / browsers …

To do this, everything was checked mainly by:

Web developer toolbar (firefox)
    my iphone 4s.
    responsinator.com

All was well in these tests. So went online …

Yesterday I tested my website two friends and their phone on both my css (media queries) was not performed correctly:

(windows-phone-Nokia Lumia)
    (HTC, not really good clear which version)

So today, but then started to make everything better.

First thing Googled, and it was immediately clear that there are already additional code is added for windows … :-(

After further research, I came to go to browserstack.com – this demotivated I certainly …
    display as iPhone 4s and even version 5 is not good??

So currently in need of some good tips / links … what I do best, what tests I perform best off (preferably free tests) …

All info is welcome! Meanwhile, read / search I continue ..

maikelkoopman
    Participant

The best testing on on the device itself, because of the interaction of touch is way different than desktop. Also the distance of your eyes to the screen varies per device, so if you want to do it right, you should acquire some devices. You can never cover all, because there are over 3000 devices already. The other best tool is virtual box, to test on IE7 to IE11 and any set of OS and browser: https://www.virtualbox.org/

Here you can download packages:
    https://modern.ie/en-us/virtualization-tools#downloads

If certain things in your css do not work on particular devices, you should check if that browser/device support whatever css you are using.

Paulie_D

The best testing on on the device itself, because of the interaction of touch is way different than desktop. Also the distance of your eyes to the screen varies per device, so if you want to do it right, you should acquire some devices.

Noooo!

The ‘device acquisition’ route is a practical dead end. As stated, you could never cover all of them for many reasons (cost and sheer testing time being the most obvious) and as soon as you did there would be a new one and you would have to start all over again.

Finding the ideal testing platform or service would be more practical (not to mention cost effective).

A good search for browser testing solutions and rooting around for informed opinions on the same in forums such as these is a much better approach.

Which is where we came in….

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.