Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS [resolved] Help with Fluid Layout Positioning

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    StephBertha
    Participant

Hi there,

I seem to be having a hard time getting this coded correctly. Here’s the layout I’m working with:
    http://www.gotmedia.org/layout-css-help.jpg

I have everything coded and working, except for the portion in red. I have the div floating right and the transparent background hugging the edge of the browser beautifully, but the text won’t move with the browser. It stays in place.

I used percentages thinking that would solve it, but I’m missing something. Can anyone give me a clue? I would post my code up here, but it’s quite long right now and I’m on the clock, so I just wanted to see if anybody knew something right away.

I appreciate your help,
    Steph

i3iorn

I’m happy to read code. Because right now its hard to tell. To little information is just as bad as to much.

simoncmason

When you say the text won’t move with the browser, do you mean if you resize the browser window the text stays in place and you get a horizontal scroll bar?

If so then you probably have a fixed width – i.e. set in pixels somewhere or perhaps a form with a too many columns to scale down?

Anyway without seeing the code as @i3iorn says above it is pretty much impossible to help you out.

simoncmason

So the div within the red border on your picture has a width set in pixels? If so that will stop your site being properly fluid / responsive.

Really need to see the code to be more help Steph, paste it on to a codepen and throw us a link!

wolfcry911
    Participant

Steph, a link to a live a page is always best! I’d take that over codepen, jsfiddle, or any other test bed any day – thanks.

Now to solve your problem:
    remove the width from section#supporting-panels;
    remove the width from #controls-wrapper;
    remove the width from #slidecaptionright;
    adjust padding in #controls-wrapper to get 20px instead of the current 40px

wolfcry911
    Participant

Perhaps you misunderstood – I was thanking you for posting a link to a live page instead of using one of the popular test beds. I know I’m in the minority, but I find it so much easier to debug.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.