Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Required overflow to scroll?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    carinlynchin
    Participant

I have an example here:

http://jsfiddle.net/carinlynchin/mhzLd4t6/4/

if you take out the overflow:hidden (or even change it to visible)..it won’t scroll anymore. I really want to know why…it just doesn’t make sense from what I’ve read….somewhere in the w3 docs I remember seeing visible does nothing except expand it beyond the container, and hidden, auto and scroll were the “scrolling” ones…but this wasn’t in the main docs, so I searched elsewhere and can’t find the reasoning anywhere.

Shikkediel
    Participant

This looks relevant to your question :

https://css-tricks.com/almanac/properties/t/text-overflow/

carinlynchin
    Participant

I think this is more on how to handle overflow, my problem is scrolling related.

Shikkediel
    Participant

Should have probably been more specific – the whole ‘realm’ of properties that influences this behaviour is linked to on that page. I think there’s a rare combination of circumstances here. The no-wrap doesn’t create a scrollbar like overflow normally would (with visible as the default) so apparently you have to trigger scrolling behaviour with either hidden, scroll or auto. Definitely a brain teaser.

carinlynchin
    Participant

Oh ok. I’ll look more into it then. I didn’t understand what was going on but I guess the no wrap makes sense on why it isn’t working….but still confused on why hidden does work..lol

I added no wrap because without it, the images stated again on the next tow and I didn’t want that. Do you know of another way to achieve no wrapping?

Shikkediel
    Participant

The biggest mysteries I found in CSS were usually explained by that’s just how it works. Not always completely satisfying for the curious mind, I know…

If the dimensions of the images are altogether unknown, I guess this would be the way to go. Any other solution I could think of would involve fixed width and floating the elements.

Edit – by the way, wheel doesn’t work on Opera unfortunately and .bind is better replaced with .on

carinlynchin
    Participant

Ok thanks. Yea I’ve been noticing that too … the “thats just how it works”…. drives me crazy….but i gotta take it if there is no other answer :)

carinlynchin
    Participant

…and who uses Opera… lol

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.