Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Repeating situation with clients, they want custom design, I want an open source

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    hcd1
    Participant

So this repeats from project to project. Client hires a designer who does something beautiful from his point of view and they ask me to base on that design. And this can include custom menu, buttons, tabs and colors. I guess that a startup should have a decent design but the client doesn’t understand what he is getting into. If custom round button or tab is not aligned properly it may require a lot of time to fix it and test in all browsers.
    I usually use Angular Material, Bootstrap material etc.
    So how to deal with a situation when a client wants his design: a beautiful front page, custom colors etc. Should I insist on sticking to frameworks inspite of client’s wish? TBH I have no desire of messing with CSS for buttons when I can just take them from Github, screw this kind of work.
    But also worth mentioning that Angular Material for example doesn’t provide cool templates… Also I don’t like templates from wrapbootstrap.com I think they can break very easily.

Beverleyh
    Participant

Would it be possible to get some forum feedback if/when a post goes in to a moderation queue? Apologies to the mods because I’ve posted my reply a few times having gone though a re-posting process of thinking it was a login/cookie error, product placement concern (so I removed a company name) and then editing a ‘test’ post until the post disappeared again. A general feedback notice saying something like “this post has been added to a queue and is awaiting approval” would be really helpful :)

Beverleyh
    Participant

but the client doesn’t understand what he is getting into

Explain it to them in terms they understand. Try likening it to something more tangible, such as a custom designed and built kitchen versus a flat pack from IKEA. Bespoke design (and build) costs more because it takes more time, skill, knowledge and effort.

If the client is limited by budget or time, then they should appreciate that they might need to make compromises and expect that you will need to do the same (discussed, reasoned and agreed upon by you both).

If custom round button or tab is not aligned properly it may require a lot of time to fix it and test in all browsers.

Yes, but testing and troubleshooting is part and parcel of being a web developer (front or backend) so you fix it during your usual regular checks. You hopefully factor this into your build process and charge for it as an intrinsic part of your service.

Should I insist on sticking to frameworks inspite of client’s wish?

A framework is just a tool. If the tool doesn’t fit, don’t use it.

TBH I have no desire of messing with CSS for buttons when I can just take them from Github, screw this kind of work.

If you can use online button generators or pre-made project/framework code as a starting point, great, but a certain degree of customisation and adaptation is to be expected. It sounds like you just want to take something and use it as-is, without putting in the effort where required, and that isn’t a very appealing work ethic.

Angular Material for example doesn’t provide cool templates

Why should that matter? Again, if you can use a pre-made project/framework (template in this case) as a starting point for your own work, great, but for your clients’ sake, and even for your own reputation, isn’t it reasonable to expect a web developer to work on adapting and customising, and even building something from scratch, if the job calls for it.

I think this says it all…

screw this kind of work.

And I have a feeling that many folks here are truly saddened by this remark, as much as I am.

TheDoc

TBH I have no desire of messing with CSS for buttons when I can just take them from Github, screw this kind of work.

Then I have no desire to give you advice. You’re posting a comment on a website whose name has CSS in it. If you don’t want to do that kind of work, this is probably the wrong place to be talking about it.

If you don’t enjoy that kind of work then there are many people out there that you can hire to do it for you.

Shikkediel
    Participant

The only times I’ve seen posts “disappear” was with the combination of the three letters S-E-O. @Beverleyh

As to the question itself, sounds like topic starter doesn’t enjoy the essence of the job too much. Some like to polish and then sell a car, others prefer to build or restore them. I’d get utterly bored with the first alone.

Custom site… custom price. Maybe that can be scare tactics towards the client. And then outsource it. Lol.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.