Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript Remove Content on Mouseleave

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Taufik Nurrohman
    Participant

I hate this. How do I remove the content from $('acronym').text(); for second action and so on and so on? I’m not a javascript expert T_T

http://jsfiddle.net/tovic/SgNU6/

Mottie

Try this (demo):

$(function() {
    $('acronym').hover(function() {
    var tip = $(this).attr('data-tooltip') || $(this).attr('title');
    var tiptip = $(this).text();
    $(this).attr({
    'title': '',
    'data-tooltip': tip
    });
    $(this).append('

' + tiptip + '

' + tip + '
    ');
    $('#tooltip').fadeIn();
    }, function() {
    $('#tooltip').remove();
    });
    });

Basically we store the tooltip in a new attribute “data-tooltip” instead of saving it back into the title. The first line should work like this: the first time it sees it, there is no “data-tooltip” so it is undefined, so the “||” (or) goes to the next item which is the title. We later save the title into the data-tooltip so all subsequent times the first line is encountered, the data-tooltip is defined and it never continues to the title. I hope that makes sense.

Mottie

The data-tooltip is a valid attribute in HTML5. Anything with data- in front is valid. I could have just as easily saved the tooltip title into the element’s jQuery data.

The reason fadeOut isn’t working is because the #tooltip isn’t unique. If you unhover the element with a tooltip and immediately hover over another tooltip, the tooltip div has fadeIn() applied as soon as the content changes. You could make a unique tooltip id for each element, but it could get messy if you don’t make sure the tooltips are removed – which I’ve seen happen if a user goes crazy nuts hovering and unhovering numerous tooltips.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.