Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Relative sizes of fonts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    sheepysheep60
    Participant

I recently made a menu which a client had asked for in Calibri. As a fall back font for everyone who doesn’t have Calibri I used Trebuchet MS. The thing is, when it falls back to Trebuchet, Trebuchet is bigger and my menu goes nuts, and spills over into a second line.

Is there any way to add anything to change the padding on my menu when a font isn’t detected?

Thanks! Dave

Possibly using JS, but you should ideally try and find a fallback font that has a similar width and x-height to Calibri.

sheepysheep60
    Participant

Thanks for these guys. Really appreciate it!

Bryan Braun
    Participant

Hey I know it’s been a while, but I came across this question in search results.

Recently Google released a freely-licenesed font named Carlito that was designed to be metric-compatible to Calibri (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calibri#Carlito). This means, falling back to it shouldn’t change the size at all.

By serving this font and including it in your font stack, you can use Calibri for computers that have it (mostly Windows), and fallback to a similarly sized font for those who don’t have it (Mac, Linux, etc).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.