Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript Register and call jQuery scripts in WordPress

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jonedwards
    Participant

Hi there

I’ve kinda asked this question before, but have never really solved it the way I would have liked to…

I want to register all of my jQuery scripts – in their stacking order – in my functions.php file, rather than placing then in the header.php file.

I have the following sitting in the head of my HTML / header.php file.

I’m already familiar with Chris’ method of including jQuery the right way, but that’s only including one .js file (from Google’s hosted service). But I want to include – in the following order:

• jQuery 1.8.2
    • HTML5 Shiv
    • jQuery Lightbox (which is in a “js” folder in my theme’s root)
    • jQuery Calls (which is also in the “js” folder in my theme’s root)

I’ve tried to use the following before (in addition to Chris’ jQuery the right way function):

function my_jquery() {
    wp_register_style( 'jquery_calls', bloginfo('template_url') . '/js/jquery-calls.js' );
    wp_enqueue_script( 'jquery_calls' );
    }add_action('init', 'my_jquery');

…but I’ve never gotten this to work.

Any help would be appreciated. Ideally, I’m looking for a snippet of code…

Thanks in advance.

Vermaas
    Participant

function load_js() {
    wp_enqueue_script( ‘myprefix_js’, bloginfo(‘template_directory’) . ‘/js/my-js.js’);
    }
    add_action(‘wp_footer’, ‘load_js’);

This should do the trick. Worked always for me. You could change the action to ‘wp_enqueue_scripts’ (instead of wp_footer) if you want.

For the ins and outs about this subject: http://wp.tutsplus.com/tutorials/the-ins-and-outs-of-the-enqueue-script-for-wordpress-themes-and-plugins/

jonedwards
    Participant

Hi Vermaas (and others)

Thank you for the reply… So would this work?

if (!is_admin()) add_action("wp_enqueue_scripts", "my_jquery_enqueue", 11);
    function my_jquery_enqueue() {
    wp_deregister_script('jquery');
    wp_register_script('jquery', "http" . ($_SERVER == 443 ? "s" : "") . "://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.8.2/jquery.min.js", false, null);
    wp_enqueue_script('jquery');
    }

function load_my_scripts(){
    if (!is_admin()){
    if (is_singular() AND comments_open() AND (get_option('thread_comments') == 1)) wp_enqueue_script('comment-reply');
    wp_enqueue_script( 'jquery_lightbox', bloginfo('template_directory') . '/js/jquery.lightbox.min.js');
    wp_enqueue_script( 'jquery_calls', bloginfo('template_directory') . '/js/jquery-calls.js');
    }
    }
    add_action('get_header', 'load_my_scripts');

Thanks in advance.

Vermaas
    Participant

Nope, won’t work, because you try to put it into get_header. That’s a wrong hook. Try wp_head (or like I prefer) wp_footer.

That should work.

jonedwards
    Participant

Hi

Right. So other than my incorrect hook, that should work?

I do prefer scripts in the head rather than in the footer of sites.

Thanks

jonedwards
    Participant

Hi

I’ve tried tried my code listed above (and using the wp_head hook), but all I end up with is random lines of text showing the theme directory path at the very top of my page…

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.