Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Recommendations wanted for uploading site built with Bootstrap to WordPress

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    wPwPwP
    Participant

I built a responsive site for a client using Twitter Bootstrap. The client supplied his WordPress username and password. I need to upload the site from my laptop to the WordPress hosted domain. I’m aware of the import functions in the WordPress tools for importing files or sites from WordPress competitors such as LiveJournal, but I’m unaware of a simple way to upload the site from my laptop. I do have an FTP utility (FileZilla). How do you recommend that I proceed?

TheDoc

Did you create a new WordPress theme? If so, simply upload the new theme to the themes directory via FTP.

Based on the words you’ve used, I have a feeling you have built an entirely separate site, in which case you will not be using WordPress at all.

wPwPwP
    Participant

I did not create a new WordPress theme (as far as I know). When I built the site, I was aware of the domain name but not that it was hosted by WordPress. I was told that the client would send me the FTP data for uploading the site, but when the email arrived with the data, it contained a link to the WordPress hosted domain, and a username and password for logging in to WordPress. I have been able to upload the site to my own GoDaddy hosted test/preview site specifically for WordPress accounts and it displays fine there. But now I need to get it into the client’s domain.

TheDoc

If you are *replacing* the client’s site with a non-WordPress site and they are giving you WordPress login details there is definitely some miscommunication happening here.

Does the client have their own domain or do they just have a hosted WordPress blog?

They probably don’t know what ‘FTP’ is or where to find their information. The best thing you could get is their hosting control panel login so you can create an FTP user for yourself and get all the information straight from there.

I would double and triple check that the client realizes their new site won’t be on WordPress, though.

wPwPwP
    Participant

The client’s site (companynameoftheclient.com) is WordPress hosted and the client provided me with the WordPress username and password. I had no difficulty uploading the site I built to my WordPress hosted test site using GoDaddy’s file manager. Now I just want to upload the same creation to companynameoftheclient.com.

TheDoc

> I had no difficulty uploading the site I built to my WordPress hosted test site using GoDaddy’s file manager.

That’s a little confusing as it sounds like you are uploading the site *through* WordPress, which obviously isn’t the case.

If the site you’ve built has *nothing* to do with WordPress then you’ll create a new folder in their FTP root called `bak` or something similar, move *all* files into that folder (make sure the `.htaccess` file moves in there, too, it might be hidden in your program). Then upload all of your new files into the root.

If the client is giving you a WordPress login, they don’t know what FTP is. You’ll need to get FTP access. You cannot upload the new site through WordPress.

Paulie_D

>Based on the words you’ve used, I have a feeling you have built an entirely separate site, in which case you will not be using WordPress at all.

…and I suspect that the client isn’t aware of this and it may cause enormous problems if they are using WP now and are used to it.

wPwPwP
    Participant

> …and I suspect that the client isn’t aware of this and it may cause enormous problems if they are using WP now and are used to it.< I hope not. I’m fairly sure the client had little previous contact with WordPress, at least for the site I replaced.

wPwPwP
    Participant

The client provided a username and password combo for logging in to companynameoftheclient.com/wp-login.php. I have no problems logging in.

TheDoc

> The client provided a username and password combo for logging in to companynameoftheclient.com/wp-login.php. I have no problems logging in.

Right, that’s for WordPress’ backend which has *nothing* to do with FTP. The client is giving you WordPress login credentials because, presumably, their site uses WordPress as their backend.

Josh
    Participant

This really sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen. I’d certainly recommend that you sit down with the client (either in person or over the phone if that isn’t possible) and get this miscommunication cleared up.

If you’re replacing a WordPress site with a static site, and the client has misunderstood how this may effect the way they manage their site, that’s just not going to go over well. What happens when they go to log in to their site and there is no login page? Do they understand that to manage content, they’ll now need to come to you, or have an understanding of HTML?

In any case, it seems fairly obvious that there hasn’t been enough communication around this. The right thing to do would be to address any possible misunderstandings now, before you make any further changes!

Edited to add: I don’t want to offend you, but unless you’re trolling us here, you really don’t seem to understand enough about how WordPress/FTP/Hosting in general works to be doing this.

@TheDoc
    has already explained what you need to do to replace the current site for them. WordPress logins are irrelevant, you need an FTP account to upload to. However, I would address the communication issues first, to make sure the client is getting what they expect.

wPwPwP
    Participant

Well, thanks for all your replies. Improved communication is rarely a bad idea. But I have been told that I would be retained for making updates. I also chose Bootstrap over, say Zurb’s Foundation 4, because I thought if somebody else ever needed to adjust the site, it would be rather easy to work with.

So to make the upload using an FTP utility, I’ll need the:

host (that could be companynameoftheclient.com (which I have) OR the IP address, correct?)
    username;
    password; and
    port.

I’m a newbie, you may have surmised.

TheDoc

Generally you’ll need the following details:

* Host: http://ftp.clientdomain.com
    * Username: ________
    * Password: ________

But you’ll also need to make sure to back everything up that’s already there.

I would **strongly recommend** you contact the client and make sure they realize they aren’t getting a WordPress site.

Paulie_D

>I would strongly recommend you contact the client and make sure they realize they aren’t getting a WordPress site.

This….very much this.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.