Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Really Thought, What SHOULD I Pay?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    siouxfan45
    Participant

I own a company that develops websites. I send some of that work to designers. We build the sites on WordPress, but I only ask the designer to make a mock-up of the design (homepage and one interior page) either 1. As a PSD or 2. As a HTML file

We have a specific layout model we stick to and that information is provided to the designer. The designer is always provided with colors and the style we’re seeking.

A design usually includes:
    1. A custom header/menu
    2. A large, rotating header image with well-styled taglines/slogans over it
    3. A footer menu
    4. A contact form that is full width
    5. Additional information on the company the website is built for (address, sometimes a map, picture of the members) in the footer
    6. The bottom most footer area includes the privacy policy links and copyright notice

My clients pay monthly fees, so I don’t look to turn a profit on the designs. I build the WP themes myself, but I rely on designers for the initial design.

So, what does everybody think. I know, I know – it depends on revisions, how annoying the client is, etc. But if you were to ballpark it; what should my standard rate of pay be for this?

I really want to make sure I’m 1. Not low-balling the folks working for me 2. Not overpaying outside designers

__
    Participant

How much time do you expect the designer to spend on any given design? What kind of quality or creativity do you expect? Is it “worth it” to you to retain good designers, or is it just a “someone who owns photoshop”-type situation? Are your designers getting the pay they ask for – do you find yourself negotiating lower prices? are you surprised at how little they ask for?

siouxfan45
    Participant

This is not a someone who owns photoshop type situation, however, with the guidance I give them it generally doesn’t require much creativity or revisions.

Generally, I pay them what they ask for. I get a lot of quotes in the $300 – $450 range. Most designers who ask for $1,000+ for the type of work I am asking for I don’t bother negotiating with, I just thank them for their time and move on to the next. I’m not going to offer somebody an amount that will insult them.

I’m curious if anybody does work like this and knows what a “going” or “standard” rate should be.

__
    Participant

Generally, I pay them what they ask for. I get a lot of quotes in the $300 – $450 range…

Fast turnaround, not a lot of creative effort, few revisions… if they’re getting the pay they ask for, I’d say it’s probably fair.

I don’t do (or contract) this kind of work, so I couldn’t say what the “going rate” might be. Other members might have better input. I would suspect, however, that the going rate is probably less than is fair, so I wouldn’t worry too much about figuring it out.

nixnerd
    Participant

I don’t know that there is a “going rate.” There’s just so many factors. I really don’t touch work for less than $1,000. It’s just not really worth it to me. Often times, my floor is even much higher than that. Then again, people are usually asking for a LOT of work and a LOT of creativity. I’ve done sites that are soup to nuts, logo to backend… which is pretty crazy.

All I can say is this… if they don’t ask for more, CLEARLY they don’t think they’re worth more, so why would you?

P.S. For $1,000, I would do a WordPress install with a freemium theme, tweaked colors and a their logo (that they paid someone else to design) in the header. That’s it. For $2,000, they get Bootstrap. But… you’re asking for way less than that so I don’t know. When you’re not able to get talent in the price range… bump it up.

__
    Participant

But… you’re asking for way less than that so I don’t know.

I think the key consideration here is that he’s only looking for “art direction,” as it were. He’s building the site himself (or “in house,” anyway).

__
    Participant

But… you’re asking for way less than that so I don’t know.

I think the key consideration here is that he’s only looking for “art direction,” as it were. He’s building the site himself (or “in house,” anyway).

nixnerd
    Participant

For straight up Photoshop work? I don’t know. It seems fair.

YOU’RE the one who’s going to have to work out the inconsistencies/challenges in the code. So, I think what they’re doing is worth significantly less than straight up web design/dev.

I think it’s fair. Knock it out in 3-4 hours and you’re making $100 per. Seems legit.

BionicClick
    Participant

i use a designer from india great designs come all day for $400USD with as many revisions you want or need.

here is something that will help you all find pricing that suits the day. This book will outline to the letter what you’re asking about, and how to determine accurate pay.

graphics artists guild handbook https://www.graphicartistsguild.org/handbook

chrisburton
    Participant

Other members might have better input.

Most designers who ask for $1,000+ for the type of work I am asking for I don’t bother negotiating with, I just thank them for their time and move on to the next.

I worked for an agency where I did this sort of work however, I was ultimately hired for typographical work and modified themes that the agency had already purchased from theme suppliers which was discouraging for me. I initially thought I was being hired for custom work. I was under a contract in which I was paid a fixed amount and had to deal with stringent turnaround times. I have to say it was slightly higher than what the OP is dealing with. I was flushing out approximately 2-3 modifications per week for $1,000/each. Keep in mind that when dealing with fixed amounts they should be taken under the same consideration as rates. Meaning, you should figure out your cost of living, etc, inline with what you can produce in the required timeframe.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.