Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Reading HTML5/CSS3 Versus Writing HTML5/CSS3 – I Have A Mental Block

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    GAtkins

Fellow forumers,

I have a mental block that I hope you can help me get past.

I can look at pretty much any HTML code or CSS code and it makes perfect sense. However, when it comes to actually writing code or modifying code, I am a complete idiot.

See this thread, for example: https://css-tricks.com/forums/discussion/19706/display-submenu-dropdown-on-hover#Item_4

How can I overcome this shortfall between being able to read and understand HTML and CSS and actually writing it from scratch or modifying existing code?

I have pretty much every recent book on the subjects know to man, but am still open to suggestions for more.

I have written some pretty complicated stuff in Excel VBA and Visual Basic in the past, but just can’t quite get HTML or CSS to stick yet.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Glenn

Kitty Giraudel
    Participant

Two words: do stuff.

Sign in into CodePen, and build stuff. Even simple stuff. Buttons, dropdowns, navigations, layouts, whatever. Just create things, and you’ll quickly overcome every little issue. :)

pmac627
    Participant

A agree with the above. Just start making websites. You don’t need a reason other than to try it out. To this day, if I find a technique or a look I really want to know how to make, I open Notepad++ and try to build it from scratch.

TheDoc

Yea, unfortunately it’s just practice. I remember way back when there was a time where I had to look up almost everything in CSS.

“What was that code to make a div centered again? *Looks it up* Oh, right, `margin: 0 auto;`”

Eventually those question get more complicated:

“Hmmmm, I forget the shorthand for box-shadow… *Looks it up* Ah yes, it’s `box-shadow: x y blur spread color`”

At some point it all comes naturally and from memory.

Kitty Giraudel
    Participant

Oh. And start with the box-model. This is the first step to understand CSS.

I have the same problem.
    May I ask a question to Andy_unleash :
    Because I’m a newbie and it’s the first time I visited Themeforest , do you mean that you have to buy the PSD template in order to receive all the pictures and photos you need to rebuild the site ? or can I save the screenshots ? Thank you for your comment.

Paulie_D

Yes, you have to buy the PSD.

I suppose, in theory, you could do it from a a screen capture but it’s only $10 and you are going to use their work.

It’s the least you can do.

chrisburton
    Participant

If you’re going to be in this industry, you should also be supportive of those who are in it. Why would you not support someone else’s work if you’re going to use it or learn off it? @Pauli_D understands it.

of course I would be supportive of those who do all the work – that wasn’t my problem – I am only new to this and I would like to learn. – Thanks everyone

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.