Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Re-Design

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    wmwood
    Participant

I recently redesigned my site. Tell me what you think.

http://ww-wd.com

Thanks ahead of time!

koewnet

The design was eye-pleasing, since the colour contrasts wasn’t too sharp (nor too soft). However:

• The menu list should be changed: (Probable) clients wants to see your portfolio and what services you offer, then read about the company/business. Personally I’d like to see Portfolio right next to "Home" on the menu.[/*:m]
    • Get-A-Quote and Contact us forms should’ve been somewhat more fitting in the design[/*:m]
    • The services-listing: Why not have four columns, so the user doesn’t have to click to see?[/*:m]
    • Portfolio: How’bout a description or a title or something for each project? Also it’s great to provide a link to the website in question[/*:m][/list:u]

Quick-note about the contact form: Since you haven’t wrapped your input-elements inside a label, you’ll need to add the for-attribute to each label.

For instance:

Code:
    Infernal

The big notice that states that the site does not work in IE6 is a bit over the top. Is there no way you can get the site to work in IE6? Not even a dumbed-down version? If it’s a concoius effort to get everyone to upgrade then I applaud you but maybe have the warning saying "This site is not designed to be displayed in IE6, please upgrade your browser" but then have a way to click through it for a dumbed-down version, simply to support the people (like me) who are forced to put up with IE6 at work and are not able to upgrade to IE7.

I’m sure these suggestions involve a lot of work just to support an aging browser and whilst not being a pro designer, I don’t like seeing corners being cut for the sake of an easy life.

cssgirl
    Participant

As a web design firm it is a VITAL CRUCIAL part of getting jobs is to be able to have your design to be cross browser compatible. IE6, IE7, FF2, FF3, Safari and Opera should all be supported without question. Limiting your possible clients by excluding IE6 users is a bad idea. There are still many, many, many IE6 users out there.

Other than that you’re design is quite nice. I disagree about your menu order with the previous poster. I think you’re order is very natural and how you see it in most cases.

I DO think that you should include some portfolio imagery on every page. Maybe a random image show on every page.

Also the grey text on a grey background may not be the best idea. It can be hard for some users to see. I would recommend upping that contrast a bit.

On your services page – I think the drop down with your services should be a little bit more "dressed up". The drop down menu action is quite nice, but I’m not quite sure it fits. Maybe you should have blocks go horizontally across the page, and when clicked on they can then expand vertically next to eachother? Does that make sense? I’m not quite sure you actually want to hide those services either behind the dropdown action because people want to see what you do RIGHT NOW, they don’t want to have to click 4 times within the page to see what you offer.

The only other advice I have that has nothing to do with design/code is once piece of copy on the index – "Need that edge over the competition?" You ask the question, but don’t deliver how or why you will provide that edge.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.