Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Quoting for re-coding websites that you did not make

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    shamai

Someone asked me to make a mobile version of their website.
    I did not make their website and I hate dealing with other peoples code, especially if it isn’t commented up and well written (I do not know if it is or isn’t… I have not looked yet…).
    What do you do in such situations. Do you tell the client to take a hike?
    Do you impose a rule that you only fix up or work on websites that you have built?
    Because this is not the first time.

TheDoc

I would provide a quote based on the code of the current website. If you need to redo a bunch of stuff already in there, then that’s obviously an added cost.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Look at the code first. Then decide.

Paulie_D

>I would provide a quote based on the code of the current website. If you need to redo a bunch of stuff already in there, then that’s obviously an added cost.

Simply this. You will have to make an estimate of how long it will take you to either retrofit a mobile version or rewrite & code for various viewport sizes then multiply by an **hourly rate**.

You could present both options to the client.

Andy Howells
    Participant

I always check the code first but more often than not have to recommend a full redevelopment, usually it’s quicker (and therefore cheaper) just to start from scratch rather than trying to unravel the mess someone else made.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.