Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Questions about using/buying templates for web design clients

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ftanired

Hello expert web designers (and Chris!) :-)

I have some questions regarding using templates for your clients. I’d consider myself a newbie web designer; well, perhaps not absolutely newbie, because I’ve made websites for at least 10 clients in the past.
    I haven’t done this in a while, and recently I got a new client who wants a simple website to showcase her artwork, and since I am busy with a bunch of other things, I think I’ll just purchase a template and customise it.

But I was just wondering about how you people deal with templates. For example:

1. How do you decide whether to use or not to use templates? Do you use templates for the more general, no-fuss, small business clients, whose budget is perhaps less than $1000?

2. Obviously you would buy templates that you know your clients would like, which means that before purchasing, ideally you’d show them some selections, and let them choose one. My question is: how do you show them these templates?

In other words, do you give them links to, say, 5 to 10 different templates on, say, ThemeForest.net, and let them choose one? Or how do you go about doing it?

3. What if a client asks you “how come you use a template?”, how do you respond to that?

4. If you charged them, say $500, to create the site, do you include the template price within the $500, or do you add the template cost on top of the $500?

Thanks!

Luminated

If the client knows its a template, I would let them choose it and pay for it (or have them pay you back the direct cost).

Personally though, I never use templates. Much easier to code things by hand if the project is that simple and most templates are just too bloated. It would take me more time to clean up the template than it would be to do it by hand.

TheDoc

I have used a template for a couple of clients’ sites before because they didn’t have the budget for a customized solution.

I make them fully aware that what they are purchasing from me is the time it takes me to purchase a template and to modify it as best I can to suite their needs.

We go through the same discovery meetings that we would normally, I have a list of requirements they want, I pick 2-3 templates and they select the one they like the most.

But, at the end of the day, I prefer designing and coding my own sites, and that’s what I get hired to do!

Pratas

I had some experience when I took ready templates and customized them a bit. The client knew about it and all was good. The main is that the client is happy)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.