Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Python v Ruby v PHP and Where to Learn It?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    nixnerd
    Participant

I think @TheDoc uses Kirby. But I was turned off because it costs money. It’s only like $35 but still.

TheDoc

I think @TheDoc uses Kirby. But I was turned off because it costs money. It’s only like $35 but still.

Small chunk of change at the end of the day.

That infographic made Python sound amazing. I’m a front-end guy, through and through, so I stick to my HTML/CSS/JS. My job requires me to do very little PHP/Ruby.

Alen
    Participant

Is there any real downside to not having a database for a smaller site?

I’m not really following. Either you need a database or you don’t. It’s not dependent on size of the site. Now with what type of database you go with, now that’s open for debate.

nixnerd
    Participant

I’m not really following. Either you need a database or you don’t. It’s not dependent on size of the site. Now with what type of database you go with, now that’s open for debate.

Sorry, I should have phrased that differently. I should have specified “small site” to mean a website that really just needs CMS for text and photos.

But I already know the answer. If WordPress feels like overkill… it probably is.

nixnerd
    Participant

@TheDoc that it is. However, I think I’m gonna try Django CMS first.

chrisburton
    Participant

But I already know the answer. If WordPress feels like overkill… it probably is.

WordPress seems like an overkill with most websites I come across that use it.

Alen
    Participant

WordPress seems like an overkill with most websites I come across that use it.

I’d agree but you are also negating the fact that WordPress from consumer perspective offers a lot of options. From theme selections, to plugins, to availability of developers to hire, just overall resources make it the “go to” platform. At the end of the day it solves problems for many people.

From developers point of view. Fucking WordPress.

chrisburton
    Participant

From developers point of view. Fucking WordPress.

I couldn’t have said it better.

__
    Participant

Is there any real downside to not having a database for a smaller site?

As @Joe_Temp said, you either need one or you don’t. There’s a small overlap (as you mentioned, very simple content management) where you might make either choice.

The real advantage for Kirby isn’t that it uses flat files instead of a database, it’s that it is largely self-configuring and doesn’t require a web host that supports MySQL. It’s convenience. (Not a bad thing.)

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.