Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Pure CSS-alternative for selecting preceding sibling element?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anne1983
    Participant

What I try to achieve sound at first rather simple. I would like to select the first Div in a list of Divs. All Divs have exactly the same markup, which I can’t manipulate. I am only allowed to manipulate stylesheets. No Div have an Id, but each one one of them have the same classes.

I want to select the first Div with class=”card” in case 1. This should happen only on one page, where Div class=”card” is followed by Div class=”dropdown”. The first Div class=”card” in case 2 on a second page should remain untouched.

The only thing I can come up with is select Div with class=”dropdown” and go to the preceding sibling. But since this is not possible, I would like to know if the community has another answer for me? Thank you!

In case 1 it goes like (here I want to select only the first Div):

<div class="container" >
    <div class="card" >...</div>
    <div class="dropdown" >...</div>
    </div>

And in case 2 it is (this first Div should remain like it is):

<div class="container" >
    </div>

deb
    Participant

.container .div:nth-child(2) , put numbers according to your choice, put 1 for first , put 2 for second and so on…

cheeers

Paulie_D

Not possible with CSS unless the page has a single identifier.

You will need javascript I suspect.

kwerty
    Participant

Hi,

Not sure this is what you are looking for.

Basically i’ve selected the [container elememt] that contains [dropdown] class and then i have targeted the first div with the className card.

http://codepen.io/anon/pen/yVRLZa

Thanks

Paulie_D

@kwerty.

Unfortunately, the OP is referring to different pages…not multiple containers on the same page.

As such, unless the page has a specific identifier, there is no way to do this with CSS.

Paulie_D

Jquery can do it…and I’ve cobbled something but I’m sure it can be done more efficiently.

http://codepen.io/Paulie-D/pen/GNYgxJ

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.