Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS protect a website

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    r2jeff

how do i protect the website?

chrisburton
    Participant

@r2jeff That’s very vague. Can you elaborate on what you mean by “protecting the website”?

SgtLegend

1.) Find a host that has a good firewall and DDOS protection (my preference is CSF or config server firewall)

2.) Ensure all your passwords are encrypted using software like 1Password or LastPass

3.) If you use software such as WordPress install something like WordFence to detect file changes and block people when they do bad things

Anonymous
    Inactive

A website or any work created entirely by you is automatically protected the second you finish it. When you copyright something its simply PROOF that shows you were the primary creator of the website, and serves as evidence in the courtroom. So your website is already protected, but if in the future someone steals your work and you sue, Then i would recommend filing for copyright protection at “copyright.gov” its 60 bucks.

chrisburton
    Participant

@Jarolin That’s not entirely true or possible.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@chrisburton in what way?

chrisburton
    Participant

@Jarolin

> A website or any work created entirely by you is automatically protected the second you finish it.

How can you copyright something you don’t own?

Anonymous
    Inactive

You do own it if you created it. Its your property just like your house or car, and its illegal for anyone you don’t approve to take it.

chrisburton
    Participant

@Jarolin Not true. You can’t copyright technology you don’t own (html/css). Some languages you can but not those I just stated.

Copyright law is a little more complex than just saying “everything you create, you can copyright”.

__
    Participant

@Jarolin

@chrisburton
    right – exactly when can you say you’ve “created it”? What if you used a CMS? What if you used a line of code somewhere that someone [copy-left’d](http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/)?

Anonymous
    Inactive

@chrisburton @traq i’m not saying you can copyright the entire HTML language. Only the design and appearance that makes up your website. Here’s an explanation from the copyright office itself>

The original authorship appearing on a website may be protected by copyright. This includes writings, artwork, photographs, and other forms of authorship protected by copyright. Procedures for registering the contents of a website may be found in Circular 66, Copyright Registration for Online Works.

chrisburton
    Participant

Images and copy go without saying.

Original authorship is the keyword that might not hold up in court since most sites have designs based on another. From reading above, you’re implying that once you create a site, you can slap a copyright symbol on there and that protects you from someone else using your layout. So what I’m saying is, how can you prove you didn’t copy some of that code which doesn’t necessarily make it originally authored by you.

You might be thinking of Trade Dress which still may be hard to prove.

__
    Participant

Something else to consider is that none of us know what the actual question was.

@r2jeff
    asked a very vague, open-ended question and then disappeared.

r2jeff

sorry guys i was quite busy.. m not disappeared man.. ya its not complete.. the thing is i upload my website and its a quite business website so in future if someone hack my web and broke it then i might get problem so i want to save my web site with hackers.. thats all i want..

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.