Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Pros and Cons of latest CSS-Tricks redesign

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Matt
    Participant

Hey Chris,

I love that the CSS Tricks website is a work in progress and different designs are rolled out.

I would really like to hear your thoughts on the latest design (that appeared today), pros and cons, and why it came so soon often the last redesign, which I loved.

My 2 cents is this one is a little less readable and user-friendly than previous versions, but that is just my preference.

I’d love to hear the other side and what was the driving force behind it.

Cheers

Matt

Paulie_D

TBH….Chris just likes change.

Most of these changes are performance driven, making the site load quicker with less overhead

I’ve seen several iterations and, initially, I’ve hated every change…but I get over it pretty quick. :)

Matt
    Participant

Thanks for the answer.

My reaction may just have to been missing a media query when it launched, as it is a lot more readable now the articles on the homepage are 1/3 not 1/2 across.

I’d love to hear about some of the performance gains. One of the most educational video series I have ever watched was following Chris’s “Big v10 Redesign Project”

Beverleyh
    Participant

I like the new design, although I’ve only seen it on mobile at the mo as I’m currently on my jollies :) …that translates as ‘vacation’, for non-Brits.

One thing that I would suggest, as a small improvement for helping mobile users to get around more easily, is a “back to top” link, or a repeat of the “Forums >> Category” breadcrumbs, right underneath the last post in a thread. Currently, it’s a mammoth scroll job to get back up to the top of the page when there’s been a conversation going on.

Atelierbram
    Participant

This design works for me, I like it a lot. SVG line-icons look so much better in negative (light on dark) than in positive; it makes them glow, certainly with colors on the icons on hover. Text labels for the icons are there when you need them. Big header type is great, typography/web-fonts overall is very readable to me.

On hovering the user replies/topics pages here on the forum I did noticed some blue links lacking an alternative inverted color (, inheriting the dark color from the hover styles for thea element, let’s it disappear in the dark background).

keithpickering
    Participant

This design is huge, and this is coming from someone who loves big web design. I had to zoom out to 75% to not feel like I was using a 640×480 resolution, but there’s no max-width on the container so now everything is too wide.

I appreciate the fundamentals of the design and I admire the constant search for improved performance, but these designs really need more testing before being rolled out live.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.