Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Property without prefixes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Kuzyo
    Participant

Hi, guys.
    I can’t find a list of properties which I have to use with prefixes, maybe somebody can share. Thanks in advance.

Paulie_D
    JohnMotylJr
    Participant

Major prefixes:

-webkit- Safari, Chrome (and other WebKit-based browsers)
    -moz- Mozilla Foundation (Gecko-based browsers)
    -ms- Microsoft
    -o-, -xv- Opera Software

Minor prefixes:

mso- Microsoft Office
    -atsc- Advanced Television Standards Committee
    -wap- The WAP Forum
    -khtml- Konqueror browser
    -apple- Webkit supports properties using the -apple- prefixes as well
    prince- YesLogic
    -ah- Antenna House
    -hp- Hewlett Packard
    -ro- Real Objects
    -rim- Research In Motion
    -tc- Tall Components

Reference: StackOverflow. I would dabble into what Paulie_D said since it is the W3C.

Paulie_D
    wolfcry911
    Participant
    Kitty Giraudel
    Participant

> -webkit- Safari, **Chrome** (and other WebKit-based browsers)

Not anymore. Chrome is running on Blink now.

> -o-, -xv- Opera Software

Same here. Opera is running on Blink.

Paulie_D

>Not anymore. Chrome is running on Blink now.

Which is a webkit fork..so it will still apply.

>Same here. Opera is running on Blink.

Not the older versions.

Kuzyo
    Participant

Wow, so fast. Thanks.

JohnMotylJr
    Participant

@HugoGiraudel, Awesome! So is it safe to say we can drop -webkit- and -0- now?

Thanks for sharing that, I didn’t even know about Blink. Did they publish that already?

@Paulie_D
    Is -webkit- primarily used for older browser versions than?

Paulie_D

Canary is using Blink right now.

>So is it safe to say we can drop -webkit- and -0- now

Absolutely NOT….unless you are dropping support for anything other than the latest browser versions.

Even then, Blink is still a WK fork so I would expect the prefix to still apply for **experimental** features in..erm..Blink

Paulie_D

Hold on: http://www.chromium.org/blink

From

>**Vendor Prefixes**

>Historically, browsers have relied on vendor prefixes (e.g., -webkit-feature) to ship experimental features to web developers. This approach can be harmful to compatibility because web content comes to rely upon these vendor-prefixed names. Going forward, instead of enabling a feature by default with a vendor prefix, we will instead keep the (unprefixed) feature behind the “enable experimental web platform features” flag in about:flags until the feature is ready to be enabled by default. Mozilla has already embarked on a similar policy and the W3C CSS WG formed a rough consensus around a complementary policy.

JohnMotylJr
    Participant

@Paulie_D I guess my excitement for tossing vendor prefixes made me jump the gun. Thanks for clarifying. Hell, i still use -webkit- for box-shadow for Android 2.0 and below development.

CrocoDillon
    Participant

I dropped old webkit syntax for gradients because I think it’s too much effort and weight for basically just a few % people that can’t (be bothered to) upgrade to Android 4.0+ :P

I don’t like the experimental flag, doubt anyone other then developers will enable that so what’s the point?

Another option: no prefixes and still list standardized syntax last, read http://www.paulirish.com/2012/vendor-prefixes-are-not-developer-friendly/ (I think it’s sort of off-topic but with css3please and caniuse this topic is solved anyway)

Paulie_D

@CrocoDillon

I feel that, more often than not, a JS solution such as “prefix-free” is the answer.

https://css-tricks.com/how-to-deal-with-vendor-prefixes/

jimmy
    Participant

Well, Blink won’t be around until Chrome 28, which is still far from stable/release.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.