Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Profile walk throughs?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Liam

Has anyone any idea how sites like raptr.com do there popup walk throughs when a user visits their profile page for the first time? I’ve noticed that facebook also do this when they add a new feature and I was wondering if anyone knows of any resources/tutorials on how its done?

TheDoc

You’ll want to look into using cookies.

The most simplest way to do this is to check to see if the user has been to your site before. If they have the cookie, no lightbox; if they don’t have the cookie, lightbox!

Liam

Cheers Doc, but I think our developer is handling that if the database has no-logins for the current profile being viewed. My query was more to do with how to get a series of separate boxes that pop up at specific places on the page, as all the lightboxes I’ve ever used always bring up the image in the center of the browser window?

TheDoc

Ahhh… I suppose you could look into some sort of tooltip, but that might not be the best.

To be honest I haven’t really dealt much with what you’re trying to do!

Liam

Not to worry, hopefully someone else might have some experience of doing something like this that they can share.

Liam

Thanks Mottie, that is certainly the type of thing I’m after but unfortunately it seems to only work for whole pages, rather than highlighting certain elements on a page. Cheers for sharing though :)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.