Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS problems with site looking too big on different screens

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    stray

heres the site http://www.broken.se/newsite/index.html

i designed the site with a size of 1200×800

and the resolution on my screen is 1280px x 800px, when looking at the site on other monitors it looks huge but on my screen it looks perfectly ok. what size should i make the site for so that it looks good in all resolutions and screen sizes.

TheDoc

You should be designing sites with a max width of about 960px.

leehughes

Couldn’t you use a max and min wrapper ?

Code:
    TheDoc

Min and Max width don’t particularly work in this case.

Not only that, but they fail in IE6 (which is still an important browser to code for, despite ignorant people’s opinions).

We, as a web community, are currently designing web pages for a 1024px monitor. This will probably go higher in the near future, maybe next year or the year after, but for now, this is where we’re at.

leehughes

Ahh crap..

I had reports of my site being too big on a certain screen from my friend in work..

http://www.leehughes.co.uk

What should I do? Just a wrapper at the 960px length?

Thanks

TheDoc

I had checked out your site before and noticed that it just barely fit on my monitor here at work (where I use a dual monitor setup, so I’m referring to just one of the monitors).

Those images that you have are clearly the focal point, and look great being that wide, but I think you can shrink down the width while still keeping that feeling.

Another thing you should keep in mind is that nobody wants to read text that goes that wide. You’ll notice that all of Chris’ articles on this site are actually quite narrow. Our eyes and brain prefer this method as it’s easier (at least our brain thinks it is) to read that way.

leehughes

Thanks for the advice :)

So reduce width of header images and widen sidebar to reduce main content text :)

Noted :)

**Can I ask what resolution you are using please?**

Thanks

TheDoc

This particular screen is 1280px wide.

At home it’s something like 1440px wide.

leehughes

Thanks

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.